View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
It's funny you saying that. I started to read a massive thread on the World of ******** forums about Roleplayers' biggest pet peeves, and one of the things that kept cropping up was people who run guilds like military squads.

I don't see what the big deal is. Most MMO games focus around killing - be it of NPCs in PvE or of living, breathing, thinking people in PvP, and if you've ever read The Art of War by Sun Tzu, you know that no matter how sad it is that such people have to exist, the best people to entrust with the running of a war are those people who understand it and will carry it out effectively.

That requires leadership and discipline. But they're other chapters.
What you said reminded me that I once studied military historical re-enactors for a paper, and what happens in some of those groups is you have volunteers who make their costumes who can't bear to make themselves low-ranking, so they make their uniform that of a captain, a colonel, a general - something higher ranking. Groups like that are comical - a whole brigade too top-heavy with brass to legitimately be in any battlefield together. In STO RP I have observed the same thing. I can just imagine RP fleets filled with captains and admirals, each trying to assert that he is in command, and a farce of Stooge proportions ensues.