View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 16 hmmm quite the boggle
12-20-2011, 05:51 AM
I would imagine that the OP rather over thought the process here as what they are really elluding to is marketing rather than the base intent of a developer or game programmer.

Simplicity would dictate that said assertions are grouping Cryptic in with the bunch as PWE takes the helm of ultimate decision veto in respect to game mechanics and how they are implemented upon the player base as a whole.

This is a little backwards if I may deconstruct your post for a brief moment.

1) We as people naturally have a need for someone to tell us what to do. This has been a cornerstone of the capitolist agenda for many decades as it dictates how we shop, what we like, and who we listen to. People in the USA anyway are primarily sheep and they follow the flock...even if they are being led off of a cliff...complacency is the root of this as we are bombarded constantly with the system telling us what to eat, where to go, what to buy...you get the idea.

2) The ultimate goal of any business is to make money and retain customers....you must understand the simplicity in this. It's not how to entertain the mides of the select few that would raise a ruckus, it's how to entertain the majority whom will continue playing for whatever reason. When you consider that technology has become the fore front of the human sleeping condition only then can you understand that if this game doesn't keep you, another will due to our inherent need to fill that void that the idiot box creates when we are not planted in front of one. The company that is PWE will continue on down the road with or without us for the reasons of profit and capitol management. The majority would have to be pretty peev'd to cause any real change to the liking of the few. Most business operates like this.....the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

3) As far as freedom is concerned I hardly believe that usuing the game as a example is going to drive your point as we are constantly told we have freedom of choice...when in reality the majority of the world population (to include the USA) have never known true freedom. I doubt even the OP has actaully realized what true freedom really is. So splitting hairs for the games sake doesn't make sense. In reality you have no choice, the same companies that drive your patronage are the same ones you are enslaved to. But for the sake of the OP's example I will put it this way. If you do a thing that you do not enjoy, why continue to do it? Is it the fantasy that this is only temporary and it could get better? Again complacency at its best.

We all have our reasons for continuing down the STO gravy train of high hopes and shattered expectations. You only need realize that this is a business...and sometimes good intentions don't always make the right path of action. PWE needs to learn this on their own...and like a parent scolding a child, there is nothing we can say to change PWE's mind on what things should be.....you just have to let them figure it out as they go along and discover what works, and what flops.

Me? I continue to play cause it angers my wife so, a little head game in my own right. That and it's the only game with an IP that I cannot resist and have always been a fan of.

You do have a choice...a few of them actually....

-Keep playing through the mess and see what comes about...you might be surprised at where PWE takes it and like it.

-Stop playing and play something else that suits your fancy.....warning the grass is not always greener on the other side.

-Rant and throw a tantrum at the current state of affairs and risk being banned or labeled a negative nancy where as no one from the player base or the game devs will really care what you think.

So see? you do have a choice, just don't let pride overshoot principal. I would hate to think all those at Cryptic have worked so hard to produce something they poured their hearts into just to be bashed from all sides over a decision that wasn't theirs to make in the first place.

As far as psychology in business is concerned......thats mostly the marketing aspect as they go to school just to get a degree and learn how to think up stupid poop for the sleeping masses to buy into. If you don't believe me....goggle forever lazy and feel free to buy one......

Its a game guys....thats all.....love it or hate it.....if you don't like it....leave it.....or wait and see what comes about.