View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Actually, this seems like an attempt to make the scene funny. But of course... Spock joking...
It's something they also did with "The Persuaders!", "Die Zwei" in German, which was supposedly somewhat less amusing in its original version than the rather "relaxed" translation.
I once read an interview with someone who'd handled the translation and from what he said Tony Curtis, who spoke German, loved it.
I think the somewhat odd translation for TOS was okay in some cases and for some characters, like Kirk or Chekov, but with Spock it failed.
It also makes the change from the translation for the shows and the rather serious and remotely accurate translation for the movies rather drastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
it's also funny that the German translation translated Warp occassionally with Sol and later turned around to just calling it Warp. No idea why they would do that.
...which has lead to some rather strange conclusions among those who only know the translated bogus.
Imagine: in TOS the translated version called the engines "Sol Drive" and in the first movie the Enterprise is refitted with new engines and suddenly everyone talks about "Warp Drive".
What would be your conclusion?
Let's just say I once read a rather distressed forums post by a young German Star Trek viewer who was totally confused by the fact the the NX-Enterprise was using Warp Drive...over 100 years before Kirk's Enterprise got upgraded from Sol to Warp tech in the first movie...

And I know the feeling, that was what I thought too before I got my first taste of TOS in the original language which must have been around 1996 with the dual language releases fron CIC video.