View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
What I'm seeing from most of this is the idea that because "bad" is subjective, my argument fails.

I'll concede that bad is subjective, but I do not concede that it cripples my argument.

Torture, is almost universally considered to be a bad thing, yet there are those (masochists) who would enjoy being tortured. That it can be enjoyed, that is, can be a "good" thing for a few does not make torture itself a good thing, or even an "ok" thing, especially not when if it were to be foisted upon those who don't enjoy it.

I will admit there are a select few for whom grinding the same content is an enjoyable activity, but I would reserve the right to say that it's fair to say the majority does not.

I will admit there are a select few for whom forking over real-world currency is an acceptable way to gain advantage and enjoyment in the game, but I would reserve the right to say that it's fair to say the majority does not share that feeling.

I will admit there are a select few for whom not playing game is a perfectly acceptable option, but I would reserve the right to say that it's fair to say the majority does not find that a desirable option.

A few well-defined exceptions do not cripple an argument.

One of the real questions is, is there anybody out there for whom all three exceptions apply?

The reason I ask is, if I make a poisonous cocktail of arsenic, cyanide, and ricin, and I have three Lab Mice and (for the sake of argumentation) each one has been made immune to one of the poisons, can it be said, because of the specific mice, that the cocktail is safe for mice?

We are not given each option in a vacuum, we must choose one of the three, and simply because some of us may be content with one or even two of the options, does not make all the options good ones.
Your argument is crippled because you are trying to define an objective result to a subjective input... There are probably as many exceptions and variances to your 'excpetions' as there are people playing. Hence your debate over good or bad (and the torture example is in incredibly bad taste) is purely subjective and applies to no one but yourself.