View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Currently, they accomplish the separation by altering your ship's model to another (whatever section you picked), and spawning "pets" that are whatever sections your ship isn't. This is why you have three separate abilities. Each one triggers a shift to a different model, and spawns the appropriate pets. I imagine if you managed to equip and use the saucer separation ability, your ship would (try to) morph into the secondary hull of the galaxy class, and spawn a saucer section.

When you recombine, your "section" pets despawn, and the animation of rejoining plays. This is why it uses "default" pieces, because it's literally just a "weapon" animation, not the actual pets rejoining your ship.

As to why your ship has to stop, that was something about the separation not working right if the ship was moving. I think it's because your ship model changes, and a pet is spawned. It's harder for the placement to work if the ship is moving, or something like that.
I get how it works. But heres where I'm coming from, (fromt he perspective of someone whos interested in programming, but has never learned it);

In the ship creator, Ive told the game that I'm using the Hephaestus MVAE costume. When I activate any of the 3 MVAM abilities, theres a flag in the coding of my ship that say (something similar to):

Ship_Costume=Hephaestus.

So the ability knows to separate the ship, (leaving me in control of which ever section I chose) and to spawn the remaining two sections as combat pets with the same ship costume. Because thats what it does, when I separate, the pieces are correct. So why doesnt the reintegration read the same flag on my ship and know to spawn Hephaestus models to reform with me? (Other than the fact the Cryptic is probably too lazy to have the models and write the code for it.)