View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelus
My suggestion is to steal a game system from Dark Age of Camelot which is probably the best faction based PvP MMO ever.

In that game you can capture keeps spread about the pvp zone. The faction that captured and controlled the majority of keeps gained access to a special dungeon where they could farm for the best loot in the game. However if access to the dungeon changed ownership the players already in the dungeon didn't get kicked out unless they were killed. This meant that in the dungeon PvP continued as the new dungeon owners tried to expel the previous owners. Now the dungeon was large and factions entered at opposite sides of it so finding and killing the other factions players took a bit of effort and clever skillful players could stay in the dungeon for a long time even though their faction no longer had access.

This system was also great because once a faction captured the dungeon they would all rush in leaving keeps relatively undefended which made it easier for the recently expelled faction to recapture keeps and regain access to the dungeon. So pvp was constant. You'd pvp to take keeps to gain access, you'd pvp to expel players from the dungeon, when you lost control of the entrance you'd pvp to stay in the dungeon, and when you were killed you pvp'd to take or defend the keeps and start all over.

In STO you could do a similiar system. Keeps become starbases, and the dungeon becomes a transwarp hub or a wormhole to a special system where players could do missions to get dilithium and tokens similiar to what you get by doing STFs.

Now starbases dont have to be complicated. They would be NPCs that would defend themselves from rival faction players. They could be captured simply by players doing enough damage to them that they surrender. Once they surrender they would switch faction. They could further be claimed by a guild and upgraded. By spending dilithium your guild could improve shields, base weapons, and add NPC ships to ithe defense of the starbase making it harder for the other faction to recapture. If attacked the starbase would send an alert to all the players in the guild letting them know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcap View Post
sorry in advance for my bad english

when I read that post for the first time I laughed because of promises made by the devs and never kept before the game came out, then I got the urge to write how pvp could be improved without changing drastically its structure.
i play STO from open beta, but last year my playing time was reduced greatly, and I can say with certainty that i still play because I did the lifetime from the release date and because it is Star Trek!

I'd like to see the implementation of fleet bases, possibly customizable, that have an active role in the life of the guild and make the users feels like a member of that fleet unlike it is now. (Need fleet points)
this base of the fleet should be so fortified that no one would dream of attacking making it a safe place for members.

mechanics of pvp
the background of star trek, as we all know, is very huge, and for example the feature of the neutral zone here in STO could be the core of pvp establishing battles to conquer the territory between factions and between fleets.
devs should add new sectors to this, the battles between factions could be on the scale of 20vs20 30vs30 50vs50 depending on the number of users available in which everyones faces in an open field for the conquest of entire sector of space, once a faction has established the supremacy of a given sector can extract dilithium ore from the mine within it, it need only a small amount of dilithium to promote this new concept of pvp.
once the factions would have faced thus establishing the distribution of the territories would start the fight fleet vs fleet of the same faction to ensure the dominance of resources. This battle between fleets could be made with 5vs5 meetings to ensure that even small fleets can participate.
After a fleet prevailed against another takes possession of an outpost and a dilithium mine and can begin to extract material until another fleet does not decide to try to conquer this outpost already occupied. Thus began a new kind of battle against the outpost.

in summary, there would be 3 new stadiums of conquest:

1- War between factions consisting of a large number of users on the same map that fight for a sector, this kind of war could be held once or twice for month to distribute the space among the factions.

2- Internal fight between fleets consisting in 5vs5 arenas such as existing. winner is awarded with a dilithium mine including a small outpost of defense.

3- Fight for the recapture of already assigned outpost consisting of a new type of battle: offensive team, with only ships against defense team made up of ships and defensive turrets from the outpost. if the offensive team win the first space step, the 2 teams could fight in a ground outpost map to determine who will be the owner.

instead of using the dilithium as a resource, could be inserted as a new resource, maybe trilithium, with which we could buy specific pvp gear

this structure is to exploit the completely instanced features of STO. devs should design new maps but I think the bottom is something feasible for the current devs, the big issue for them would be to be able to balance the factions skills and adjust broken skills instead of continue to put absurd console into the game ruining the gameplay...

cryptic + pwe make a lot of money with the space bug gambling and they will continue with the ftp, now they must and they can focus their attention to add more contents and give us a better game
a mix of this 2 point of view could be great...