View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 109
01-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
As far as I know, that's not how it happens in Star Trek. That's how the fan base refers to them. On-screen, they just say "Enterprise" always "Enterprise". Any other ships with that name is still "Enterprise."
Normally I don't touch zombies (they're icky), however I'll go ahead and respond here.

On TNG, Picard referred to his ship as the Enterprise-D a number of times, in is own, carefully enunciated style (in shows I've watched just recently). He also referred back to the Enterprise-C in a couple of episodes (including the one the Enterprise-C appeared in).

The various Enterprises have been referenced by characters in DS9 and Voyager using their letter designations as well. It is not unusal in the later shows when referencing historical "Enterprises" to refer to them with the letter designation, for clarity if nothing else.

So yes, it does happen in Star Trek numerous times. It also happens commonly in may official and/or standard sourcebooks and novels. That's why I've never really had an issue with it myself within STO. People began doing it simply because it seemed to fit the nature of the source material.