View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-15-2012, 03:26 PM
You know, as much as I like Star Trek I can't really agree with the "character"ness of the ships.
Yes, the Enterprises were awesome. Yes, there was a bond of sorts with the ships... but I just never felt it. The ships were still expendable and I don't think a thing can even have a character without... displaying it.
I mean compare the death of Spock to the loss of either Enterprise. The death of Spock was leagues and bounds more effective at tugging on the heartstrings of the audience. The destruction of the Enterprise DID affect people but not enough. I mean, they just simply replaced her.

The same goes for the Enterprise-D and the Defiant. It sucked to see an awesome ship go but the "character"ness was limited. It doesn't affect us on a human level. It affects us more like if they totaled our first car.

That's not to say they have NO character. I just think it's overstated. Honestly if you want a ship with the most character possible it's probably... the Tardis... Since that thing literally started walking around once and has been around forever.