View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 240 Thank you
01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
The Odyssey class starship and the new Klingon Flagship will be available through game play using in game currencies (this is a promise). There may be variants of these ships in the C-Store at a later date, but you will definitely be able to get these ships in game. We'll reveal more about how they will be available later this month.

To set expectations on featured episode series, I think it's realistic for the development team to produce two or three series a year. I know we can fit in two series in 2012 and I'm trying to build a schedule to get a third one in, but it's not clear that it'll happen. As it is right now, you can expect the second series of the year to come out a little after the Season 6 launch, probably in July. (Note that once again this is a forward looking statement and not a promise, because pretty much anything could change by then.)

It's my belief that it takes a range of game play options to keep the game going. When it comes to my "something new" comment, I am thinking broadly. Consider how December went. We did the launch one week, Q's Wonderland event started the next week, the Duty Officer event the third week, and the nanopulse weapons in the fourth week. That's "something new every week" by my definition. And I think that the majority of players liked that there was something new (even if it was small) happening regularly.

It's unfortunately impractical to deliver story content all the time. In fact, story content will mostly be coming through the featured episodes (with somewhere between 9 and 13 episodes next year as per above). I'm working hard to get in more special events (like the Q's Winter Wonderland), more calendar events (like the Mirror Universe or Starfleet Academy), more content that is repeatable (like the STFs), and more fun little weekend events (like the recent Duty Officer weekend). We'll also sprinkle in things like the Duty Officer expansion and some new game features. There are a lot of ways to provide something new to you all.

And I'm totally okay with people being skeptical about delivery. Until the game builds a track record of delivery, feel free to be skeptical. We're working hard, though, to get things on track. I think December was a nice start, and that the next few months should prove out that we have the development team delivering. I'm sorry for the apparent stall in January, but the free-to-play conversion is a LOT of work and necessitated a brief slow down.

Happy new year everyone!

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
I thank you for the commitment to working on your delivery of content and appreciate the effort. I left just when the weekly episodes were being run. I had fun, but not enough to keep me as a subscriber. Going to the F2P hybrid concept has brought me back and I have to say I like what I have to see... so far. I am also glad that you are reintroducing the ability to earn ship classes rather than being able to purchase (the Federation Dreadnaught being the most glaring offense). Every ship should be able to be earned with costumes and skins being purchasable. Lifetime subscribers should get bonuses that no other person should be able to purchase or earn - EVER! (come on, they spent $300!) Personally it should be one ship, one crewmember, one uniform, and title. Much of this has been met, but in some cases became purchasable as well. I have no problem looking at someone in envy if they spent $300 for lifetime access.

The ability to purchase C-Store points with dilithium is a double edged sword. One more likely used to purchase dilithium rather than the other way around, but that does leave us poor players with an ability to obtain C-Store points through game play (although at current average it will take @ 700,000 dilitium to get the previously mentioned dreadnaught). I understand you don't operate your company out of the kindness of your hearts; you are a business after all and have a commitment to your shareholders. Of this I am ok with as well and do not rail against it. It takes money to keep this game up and I contribute when I can. I will watch closely how you progress and what strides you make and again thank you for your efforts. As you must know as well, I will continue to contribute as long as the community as a whole is happy with your efforts. Hopefully you learn from CCP and their mistakes with their community that lead to the drop in EVE, and their other games, subscriptions.

Thank you again,
William S.