View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by afindlay14
I think the developers and support need to get with it, this game has been released 2 years now, there are as many bugs if not more than ive seen from games still in beta testing.....crashes, freezes, and little annoying things are a huge part of this game, not to mention the CONSTANT patching and server maintenance, maybe if you guys knew what you were doing you wouldnt need to do so much maintenance. 2 years and they still cant fix things that shouldnt have been there upon release, not to mention the support staff always insists everything is you're computer and not the server or the games programming......thats a load of BS and everyone knows it, if it was programmed well you wouldnt have to worry so much about pc issues. thats on the developer not the consumer guys. maybe get the support and developers together to work out some of these amateur bugs.....c'mon cryptic....i wouldnt even work for you guys.....i mean dont get me wrong the game and its concept are awsome, but the lack of knowledge in programming and error correction is very lacking....which is what makes it so frustrating, you want to play, but guess what you cant, unless you yourself have the know how to fix the issue....all in all good concept, shoulda had a different company develop it.

As a licensed computer and server administrator, I get that problems can be frustrating. But 90% of the time it really is something on the client end, even if it doesn't appear so initially. Remember that there are thousands of users who are connecting to the server and playing the game without the problems you yourself have been experiencing. In most any case, chances are there's some interaction with your hardware or software- or even your operating system- that is causing your problem, and insulting the staff of the product is never the way to solve your problem.

Again, I get that you're angry and confused, and it may seem like a simple case of 'the developer is always wrong'- but I assure you that it isn't. I myself have had no trouble patching, running the game, connecting to the server, or playing across a multitude of computers, connections, and interface types. While there are certainly some bugs that are lower priority for solving (graphical ones, in particular), that's really just the reality of this industry.

You claim that 'if they knew what they were doing' everything would be magically perfect- I assure you, it would not. Cryptic does know what they're doing- as a company they couldn't have survived this long in the uncertain industry as they have if they didn't. However, they can't account for every possible interaction between every possible instance of code and every possible computer software and hardware configuration. What they can account for is if their system will run on its target demographic of computer hardware and software configurations within reasonable limits and without significant errors.

And they've done that.

What more can they do? Well it's simple. They can do what they're doing right here and now. They can ignore that you're taking your frustrations out on them, and instead offer to help and support you as a customer (or in the F2P environment as a potential customer) and a user of their service. However, even that's laden with pitfalls because ultimately their help relies on you, the user.

You need to provide them, the product owner, with information on your system and software so that they can attempt to determine what the issue is. Remember: These people do know what they're doing. They can usually figure out what's wrong- and they typically do. While I can't say that every possible problem can be solved or even determine what is really happening, chances are they can fix yours too.

So listen to the good Dev, and try not to get quite so angry.