View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VangarVega
As much as I agree with the first part, I beg you people to stand down from this total war garbage. Why is it so hard to believe that the UFP and Starfleet rely on thier true meaning and rather be a paramilitary peacekeeping force rather than a battlefleet bend on destruction and conquest? This is what Starfleet has always been. They have a tactical department and built some dedicated ships for combat missions but it's okay now. They won their past wars with their technology and ideals intact (mostly). Why can't you accept this fact as something still unique to the spirit of Star Trek rather than building battleships, battleships and more pew-pew boom.

I like the idea that the Odyssey is once again an exploration/peacekeeping vessel. This is Starfleet. If you don't like that, don't play a Star Trek game or play a Klingon or Romulan char (though those factions are/will be as badly portrayed as the UFP in-game I guess )
Well, I see what you're saying but I have to disagree. The Federation is EVERYTHING that you said, but they are not stupid. Every time there is a war or LONG conflict we see the Federation come out with a new ship/combat vessel to deal with the threat.

They don't go all out and build a battle fleet to go "a" conquering, but they most certainly don't sit around trying to keep their ideals in tact by not doing anything. They fight to protect their ideals and the freedom of those who share them.

In fact Starfleet is a peace keeping organization as you said, but that in no way means taking part in a war (and doing everything to win it) is against their ideals. Would Starfleet sit idly by while the Borg invade? Would they forget the past encounters with them and decide not to build new ships to fight them?

You also seem to forget we are not technically at war in STO with any of the other factions save the KDF. We are having border skirmishes with the Romulans and Cardassians, but only outright fighting the Klingons (who attacked us first).

So yes, I say there should be a way to allow the lower level ships to be played at T5 (viably). Heck, look at the Equinox in Voyager! That little Nova gave quite a good run for Janeway, it was full of modifications and new parts to help make it cope with the added duties. Why can't we do that here?

-Quiiliitiila