View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila
Well, I see what you're saying but I have to disagree. The Federation is EVERYTHING that you said, but they are not stupid. Every time there is a war or LONG conflict we see the Federation come out with a new ship/combat vessel to deal with the threat.

They don't go all out and build a battle fleet to go "a" conquering, but they most certainly don't sit around trying to keep their ideals in tact by not doing anything. They fight to protect their ideals and the freedom of those who share them.

In fact Starfleet is a peace keeping organization as you said, but that in no way means taking part in a war (and doing everything to win it) is against their ideals. Would Starfleet sit idly by while the Borg invade? Would they forget the past encounters with them and decide not to build new ships to fight them?

You also seem to forget we are not technically at war in STO with any of the other factions save the KDF. We are having border skirmishes with the Romulans and Cardassians, but only outright fighting the Klingons (who attacked us first).

So yes, I say there should be a way to allow the lower level ships to be played at T5 (viably). Heck, look at the Equinox in Voyager! That little Nova gave quite a good run for Janeway, it was full of modifications and new parts to help make it cope with the added duties. Why can't we do that here?

-Quiiliitiila
I've got a feeling you've missed the point.
It's not about not refitting, but it's this constant demand for battle here, battle there and this constant feeling people are trying to imitate Edward James Olmos when they shout "We are at War!"
And, to be blunt, that people seem to want to play the Federation without playing the Federation.
"We are the Federation. We have Starfleet, dedicated to peaceful exploration and defending our people...and where are those battleships, battledestroyers and carriers?!"
The point is that to Starfleet dedicated warships are useless outside a war.
Conflicts come and got, but exploration goes on.
Hence the only ship we ever saw in the prime universe that was dedicated to warfare was the Defiant and her purpose was to defend against an enemy (the Borg).