View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2012, 12:00 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. Personally i love that there aren't any real rewards to pvping atm. It's just there because people like to test themselves against others. I think it should remain like that until balance is achieved, But a conquest type match between players is exactly what this game needs. I'm loathe to bring up wow pvp mechanics but have they seriously not considered an Alterac Valley in Space style conquest map? Start off at your own deep space station (complete with automated defenses and decently powerful NPC cruisers/carriers that patrol it). With the goal of taking over different star bases in the sector, which possibly improve and support your team as you seek to take out the enemy space station. Between them there could be nebulas, ion storms, asteroid fields etc. Plenty of stuff to make traversing the sector interesting. And plenty of places to set up ambushes.

Between the deep space stations could be tactical points : starbases. research outposts and research mining faciilites. Fight over them meanwhile losing ships means you lose resources when people respawn, But also taking over the different spots to fight over gives your team buffs perhaps or enhanced abilities. (Starbases for passive hull regeneration when defending owned outposts) Research stations (Owning multiple starbases outposts and other facilities means that each regen resources at a better rate for your team, as well as reducing the number and or strength of the ships and weapons defending the enemies main base . Mining outposts (slight regen on resources lost)
^ all these ideas are just off the top of my head and can be ironed out later

My goal with this sort of pvp map is to encourage small battles all over the sector, and not so much just one big 20 ship armada cruising around destroying all opposition. Not that a really large battle wouldn't be fun.. but just for the sake of variety. To discourage that when capturing new outposts the first to capture it i.e. destroy all opposition and occupy the base will recieve a powerful patrol cruiser that will defend that base and assist and support defenders. So that way if you decide to take (lets say it's 20 v 20) your whole armada around destroying everything, you'll find that your job is very difficult and a team that divides themselves up and occupies all the outposts before you will be in a much better position to defend them.

The ultimate goal is still penetrating the enemies defenses and taking their base out. But you can win just by defeating the enemy more often than your team is defeated.

To prevent turtling there would have to be incentives for people to branch out and achieve objectives. Those haven't occurred to me atm, but with time i'm sure the ideas can be found.

You would have goals and a nice big map with battles all over, it would be interesting, as it stands now everything feels like a sandbox, I want to battle over an entire sector.