View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-12-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't believe "Star Trek" means the same to you as it does to me. It seems you have an emphasis on The Next Generation or The Original Series of Star Trek, and Teflon Star Trek is not the only Trek out there. As a big fan of Deep Space Nine, I would very much disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
Star Trek has always been about hope, and optimism, progress and peace.
I disagree. I just read over synopsis of Season 4, 5, 6, and 7 of Deep Space 9. The Seasons were overshadowed with war, the Dominion, sacrifice, loss, sadness. Over half of the episodes for those 4 seasons (100+ episodes), were not about hope or optimism, progress or peace.

Quote:
When I was playing "Second Wave", an episode that I thought they did a really good job on, I despaired at the admiral saying "The Federation has about 3 years left before we are completely destroyed by the borg!"

THAT IS SO DEPRESSING! 3 years??? Do you know how bad that makes things? That is all but hopeless. That is not humanity reaching out to the stars and evolving to the next level, it is our inevitable doom.
During the Dominion War, like during the period that DS9 was occupied by the Dominion, there were plenty of despair. There was dialog about list of dead being posted weekly, moral being at an all time low, and losing the war without getting the Romulans on the Federation/Klingon side.

Quote:
I'm not saying we shouldn't fight the borg. I'm not saying we need non-violent missions. Obviously these things should be what the game is about. But I'd like to see more of an emphasis on hope and optimism.

I'm still hoping that the 3800 end up allying themselves with the Federation at the very end of the saga and flying off to fight the borg to help save everyone. I want to see an entire series about Deffera joining the Federation. Throw in attacks and battles, but have the objective be us fighting for unity, not just fighting a hopeless battle to survive.
If you watch the Episodes "Favor the Bold" and "Sacrifice of Angels", you would see that the 2800 Dominion ships were coming to the Alpha Quadrent to take it over completely. The Federation and Klingons were the only forces available to prevent it, and they only had a hand full of fleets to stop them. The situation looked hopeless. The Alpha Quadrent was about to fall to the Dominion.

This is no different from the scenario proposed by this featured episode, so it does follow the Trek theme introduced in DS9.

Quote:
Does anyone else agree? Again, I am focussing on theme, aesthetic, and feel. I'd like more of this game to feel like Star Trek and not Starship Troopers.
I do not disagree, but I do not totally agree. This is a DS9 FE, so if we use DS9 as a guide, things get worse before they get better. Using a plot device to make things completely awful for a cliff hanger may not be a TNG thing (though, it was used in The Best of Both Worlds), it is definitely used in DS9.

Before saying it's not Trek, I'd suggest you watch the series Deep Space Nine, or at least the episodes Favor the Bold and Sacrifice of Angels. Those are both canonically Trek, and the foundation for this FE.