View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor12345 View Post
I think you're on the right track but some of your numbers are off. Shouldn't the total population be just 45 billion if there is 150 member worlds with 300 million people each?

I also had a quick look for info on the US navy, as thats what Starfleet is based on. It currently has 285 "Deployable Battle Force Ships". Since the US conveniently has a population of ~300 million, which nicely matches your estimate which I think is pretty fair, Starfleet would have over 42,000 ships if they want to keep the same ratio of ships : people. Though this doesnt take into account the fact that those are "battle ships", and Starfleet is mostly science/exploration, or that it can be argued that the US navy is way oversized, or that other US military services might have their own ships

There's also about 1.5 mill active members of the US military, which is only 0.5% of the total pop of the US, which is less than your estimate of 2%, but again as Starfleet is mostly science/exploration, they could get a much higher percentage of people joining as I'm sure there aren't that many people interested in the sciences/exploring joining the armed forces.
That pretty much lines up with what Ron Moore said to.