View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I've said this for awhile... But especially with the focus on level number in Season 5, I would be inclined to make the higher tiers of Asmiral into Duty Officer rewards for maxing out commendation categories; a Fleet Admiral would be someone who has maxed them all out (as that would show commitment to paperwork/delegation).

So that even if the level cap goes up to 60 or 70, you're still a Captain and displaying Admiral ranks would be contingent on Duty Officer progress in multiple categories.

3 makes you a Rear Admiral, 6 maxed commendation categories makes you a Vice Admiral, 9 makes you full Admiral, and 12 makes you a Fleet Admiral.

And maybe bake in optional dialogues for people who have the DOff progress. So anyone who has maxed a minimum of 3 DOff categories starts getting optional mission dialogues with things like:

[Rear Admiral] I order you participate in the peace talks.

If you have the "Rear Admiral" accolade or above, you can start taking shortcuts in missions based on your rank.
Another good idea, as I've come to expect from you. So long as I can still rank up those commendation categories and stay Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica View Post
My second uniform slot is a lowly lieutenant and when doing such things as Bajor or other low tasks I play the part of a junior officer. I don't like running around as Admiral so I don't for the most part. Imagination is all in your head. There shouldn't be 300 admirals hovering around DS9 therefor there aren't because I use my imagination. Rank is what you choose to display on your uniform - not what Cryptic displays as a icon next to your name at the top of the screen.

Heck, my tactical admiral weird alien thing flipped uniforms into a human female science officer. I role played that this was the alien shape shifting into the form of her deceased foster mother whom she cherishes and being 'human' made her less scarey to those around her.

My crew were all promoted to commander to get the skills yet they are not all commander. My first officer and medical officer are but the rest are a mixture of chief to lieutenant commander if you look at their uniform.

You must use your imagination and you do even though you don't know you are such as did you destroy the dooms day weapon and become a hero or did every single other player do it also?

TLDR: Your character is what you make of it. If you don't want your admiral to do trivial tasks then flip uniforms and role play as a junior officer ordered to do it by the admiral and have fun.
But for now, this is what I do, however it is a compromise.

The ideal for me would be having the rank and levels/tiers completely seperate and optional though, and for this to be refelcted on your char info and in npc dialogue.

However my fear is Cryptic will look at this as too much work and the ends won't justify the means, so this or somehting similar will never happen :/