View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 5 The Spider's Web - Part 1
02-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Captain’s Log: This is Pii reporting.

We were returning to DS9 after spending a week studying a super nova remnant in a system near the Rolor Nebula. My science teams were happy to examine the stellar core fragment; an opportunity that did not come along often in the multi-front war that the Federation faces. With enemies all around us, chances for science or engineering projects that don’t have military applications have taken a back seat to the lines of research that could make a difference in these wars. As an Engineer, I have to admit that this particular mission didn’t provide me with anything of significant interest; I did find the stellar core fragment to be aesthetically pleasing when viewed through the spectral analyzer of my optical implant.

My science officer, Thule, roused me from my regeneration process. I stepped out of the Borg alcove in my ready room. Although my regeneration process was interrupted, I checked my power reserves and determined that it was adequate for the next 26 hours. I initiated the alcove’s low power mode and left the ready room.

When I entered the bridge, I looked around the mostly empty command center. Conferring with my internal chronometer, it was 0300. The crew was still in their bunks. It would be a couple more hours before they would relieve the night shift and begin their day. I spotted Lieutenant Commander Thule at the science station studying the console intently. I walked over to him and asked for a report.

“I’m sorry to rouse you so early, Captain,” the Andorian scientist replied, “but we’ve just found something interesting.”

“What is it?”

“Sensors detected a cocktail of particles that we know are commonly associated with recent wormhole activity.”

“A wormhole? Where is it?” I asked as I scanned the view screen for the tell-tale signs of the wormhole. My optical implant didn’t identify anything unusual.

“It’s a micro-wormhole,” Thule explained. “I’m magnifying it. It’s on screen now.”

I examined the anomaly again. It certainly looked like a wormhole, but there was something about it that wasn’t right. I turned to Thule and said, “Wake the bridge crew and the science teams. I want this wormhole analyzed before we return to Deep Space Nine.” Then, I turned to the ensign at the helm and ordered her to adjust our heading to move us closer to the micro-singularity.

While Thule and the helmsman followed my orders, I took my seat in the command chair and hailed Starfleet command to inform them of our discovery and the subsequent delay in our arrival. As I finished my conference call, the bridge crew trickled in with caffeinated mugs in hand, took their stations, and relieved the night shift. They were bleary-eyed and more than a little annoyed to have been roused from their much deserved sleep so early. However, no one said that life in Starfleet would be easy.

Our initial scans didn’t identify anything unusual about the micro-wormhole, so I ordered Engineering to prepare a micro-probe to take a closer look at it. As I waited for the announcement from Engineering that the probe was ready to launch, I perused the Starfleet database for data pertaining to wormholes, and more specifically, micro-singularities.

“Captain Pii, Commander Craxol announced over the intercom. “The micro-probe is ready.”

I watched the probe travel the distance between the ship and the micro-wormhole from the view screen. I calculated the distance to the wormhole. “Let’s see if we can crack it open. Initiate verteron particle burst in three, two, one.”

As Thule initiated the particle burst, the wormhole opened up and swallowed the micro-probe. However, it didn’t end there. It continued to gobble up the space between us at an alarming rate. Before I could order the ship to back off, the anomaly’s quickly growing maw swallowed the Copernicus whole.