View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
*snip*

On a semi related note, I know ESD is supposed to be in synchronous orbit. Does anyone know where it's synchronous over? like UP Fleet Yard is obviously over Utopia Planitia on Mars. Is ESD over San Francisco? Somewhere else?
If I recall correctly, the old ESD model was closer to San Francisco on the earliest Sol system map. Which most took as the case when viewing Star Trek III, IV and V. U.S. player's, of course, took pride in this. While others used that to taunt international player's. It was an old topic. Suggestions were made that ESD should be moved. And dry docks established over a variety of continents. For example, San Francisco, Cardiff and Melbourne Orbital Shipyards.

Calm discussion (argument) that I recall in favor of a change, included that while San Francisco remains the home of Starfleet Headquarters, the Federation President (and by extension the Council Chambers) were located in Paris, France. Suggesting that perhaps the Federation should not appear too U.S. centric within context of STO?

When Sol system got overhauled and the current ESD model appeared, it was over the Atlantic. Roughly, half-way between North America and Europe? I speculate that fostering player community may have been more important than canon location. Although, halfway between Paris and San Francisco would really be where? New York, maybe? Make of that what you will.