View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Well, it turns out Bitesize has to review a different mission, so I wrote this review instead.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/ugc...tsfullofstars/
I know this probably sounds self-serving, but this was an amazing review. I can't wait to play this mission. Oh, wait...

Quote:
I do have some technical stuff that I'd like to point out:

Increase size of reach marker at planet (flying between planets, moons, and debris), because I get stuck trying to avoid the atmosphere in my excelsior.
I'll look into this. I was actually using the various planets as objects to be components rather than inserting reach markers, but I'll try the latter.

Quote:
Also, I didn't understand why the ship appeared when I chose to go to the planet first. Probably a limitation of the Foundry?
That was partly due to the fact that this map in particular evolved slowly and changed pretty radically over time, so there were a few things left hanging. I've made it so the ships won't appear unless you choose to look for them. Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote:
The triggers on the desert planet seemed a litlle awkward. I could complete the task without fighting by talking to the Vulcan. She told me to return to her, so I did immediately.

Also, I would experiment with using invisible objects at the ring and the other place, when you tell people to go north, or go east, but the things to find aren't exaclty north or exactly east. Put an invis object set to go invis with this component complete. Make interacting with it the first task, whether it's disguised as something else. That should make the tricorder direct players to the scene.
Also a holdover from differing visions of the map. At one point, I thought the player would have choices about who to ask for help (or not at all) and how. And then I streamlined things. I've gone back and made things much more linear now, and I think easier to follow and find.[/quote]

Quote:
I didn't understand why I was suddenly speaking to the Prof, who stayed on the ship, when inside the ice caves. I'd recommend a popup in there, like a BO says, "Sir, perhaps if we contacted Prof..."
Also inserted some dialogue boxed to make Olpar's comments look a little more natural.

Quote:
Those ice caves are confusing. Anything that can be done would help, such as blocking off places that lead to empty corners, thus better directing a player where to go. That's probably hard, when it was probably crazy-making just trying to put objects on that map.
I had a vision of ice caves and couldn't shake it. It's actually not a very good map. There were a number of places where rocks hovered off the ground and the like. I also tried to put some rocks in places where Boffs kept getting stuck. I'll look into making things less trap-like even more so.

Quote:
There are quite a few spots, where if I had accidentally clicked past the popup, I would have no clue where to go, especially in the ice caves and on the planet. I would use more green text and more invis objects so that tricorder knows where to go. Some of these are unavoidable and my own missions have them, but using more green text would help prevent bad reviews.
I'm already working on greening up more text.

Quote:
I didn't understand why the crew of the Eldrigde was called my crew, using "your crew."
I missed this. I guess the "your" was a generic "Starfleet's." I just republished the mission without making this change (D'oh) but will do so in the next iteration.

Thanks for the feedback.