View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwaffle123
OK, that raises another question - spread or high yield torpedo?

I played around with both, and while spread does less damage it makes pretty quick work of swarms of small ships which you run into a lot of. Spread with Quantums was popping birds of prey in a single volley sometimes when I was doing missions.

Is HYT better? I know it does more single target damage, but spread seems to be more useful as it can hit way more targets.
HY for burst with Trics and Plasma when it counts. When going against swarms of scorpion fighters and Bops in PvE spread beats it of course. I used to one shot cubes in the Borg invasions with Tyken's and a HY Tric when I was running them. It's all relevant to what you want to use it for. I should have remembered what content you are primarily running at this point. I'd get through the content first and hit VA. Once there you can concentrate on min/maxing your build and whether or not to go for burst DPS or more for sustained DPS. I think you'll want to concentrate on burst single target DPS with your weapons setup in a Science ship since you don't have a lot of Tactical BO slots (unless you're trying to be the lost son of Captain Kirk). Your science powers are a totally different animal, however, and not necessarily thought of in the same way.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck.