View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
I think there was a very strong hint of an Iconian connection here, else those two high-profile prisoners would not have gone missing. I consider this to be direct foreshadowing of a future FE, an endgame mission, or possibly an STF.

I like the fact that the FE's aren't necessarily disconnected and that there will be plot threads running through them and tying them together. I like the fact that this series takes its cue from a TV episode and extends it to a reasonably logical outcome.

Also, for what we did on this mission, that's an awful lot of map design. It's not that reusable for any other context, except maybe PvP or Foundry. I find it difficult to believe that they did all of that work for a one-shot. We WILL be seeing this again, I hope. (While we're at it, I'd like to see that Romulan city map again sometime...)

Granted, there may have been inconsistencies and plot holes... but I don't think it's fair to compare a script for a TV show or movie with a script for a game, or to knock the writing as hard as some are doing.

My understanding is that while there may be some similarities, writing for a game is a slightly different beast and doesn't follow the same formulas as a screenplay. TV shows are linear and it's easy to cut out unnecessary movement from scene to scene, whereas games like this are more event-driven. For all we know, the writer had an elaborate script written... and then had to hack it down to meet deadlines, play time targets (how long), and technical constraints.

I will also testify, as an amateur, that it is ridiculously easy to write yourself into a "bad place" and really difficult to write your way out of it in a way that doesn't feel like a cop-out. The TV series had budget to support a whole team of writers over the years. I suspect STO does not.

For example, the whole bowing thing... sure, maybe the Vorta and Jem'Hadar wouldn't have done it that way in the series... but bowing on bended knee is a far more reusable animation, and that might be the reason. It's also possible that the animators simply weren't aware of the difference, even if someone else at Cryptic was, but I'd be willing to put money on reusable animations.

Since the mission has rewards that are arguably worth replaying, it is important that the mission move quickly enough so that replay doesn't feel too grindy. As it is, I felt that the mission is generally worth replaying to get those alternate rewards and it doesn't feel like an annoying chore.

All that to say, the plots may well have problems but for a game they don't all totally suck. Yes, Cloaked Intentions was a better FE series in some ways. 'Of Bajor' was too long for the kind of mission it was, yes, and would have benefited from going more wide (more optional paths to complete) than long.