View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncha
What I'm worried for however is the return of the catering to the Fed population because they're a majority player base. Evidently with Stahl numbers matter and because we were "merely" 18% of the playerbase our desires weren't that important.
Much as I don't like to be that guy, I got to say...I called it.

The news had barely broke about Dan coming back to the EP chair and cries of doom were already sounding on the Klingon Gameplay board. And I said I'd love to give him the benefit of the doubt but his attitude towards a perceived minority player base would likely not have changed in his time away. And in two podcast interviews what's the first thing out of his mouth when the KDF comes up? "Still a minority player base", "chicken or the egg problem" etc.

The rationalization continues. What's funny to me is the other players who talk about a Romulan faction. I actually think I remember one poster awhile back in a Romulan Faction request thread that said something to the effect of "the Romulan Star Empire doesn't NEED Klingon approval. Bring on our faction." And what's funny about this is who's to say that rationalization, that "tune" they're getting so used to playing about "well if we spend the money to make this content will enough people pay us to play it somehow" won't come to bear again? So really, people who want a Romulan faction I don't know what it is you're hoping for. If they won't flesh out and develop PvE content for one the biggest Star Trek factions, why on Earth do you think you would get anything better for the pervieved "15-20%" of the Star Trek fan base that comprise Romulan fans?

Since Christmas to now they've been playing with Galor ships and Jem bugs but do you really think a Dominion faction is in the works for the "3-10%" who'd play them?

Because really, what's Star Trek if not another sci fi series told through the eyes of human superiority over all life in the universe? And that's not Cryptics fault by any means, or even Rodenbarry's when he designed Trek. That's been going on since the birth of science fiction, and with Star Trek it's endured long enough that different races developed into major powers because they were compelling primary antagonists, Klingons in TOS, Romulans in TNG, Dominion in DS9 and Borg in Voyager. But at the end of the day each playerbase has a "minority" because the narrative view always came from human or Federation eyes. The sad thing is this game won't endure for very long on this road because truly even from the Fed side of things the content isn't that fleshed out or great. PvE in this game can border on tedious.

The one thing STO has to hang it's hat on, and the only reason I recommend it to anyone frankly, is that they are rocking easily one of the best ship combat PVPs out there. And yet they won't help make that their bread and butter by doing what every aforementioned series took the time to do, devote episodes to flesh out and provide a window into the antagonist. Because it's those eps that spawned the "minority" or "cult" fan bases of those particular factions. And if you don't have more than one faction in an MMO, your PVP isn't going to count for jack all. Which destroys the one major piece of appeal left in your game. And that's sad that it's just being flushed away.