View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intricated View Post
I may have misused the term stressor; I was referring to situations or objects that could cause a stress reaction, but does not because that individual's body doesn't react in that manner (whether they know it or not). Like Adondria's description of his job is indeed a potential stressor, and likely would be one for a lot of people, but if it's something Adondria has learned to handle within his/her capabilities, then it's not a stressor for them, and thus doesn't cause stress.
(Sorry, I know I said I would leave it at that, but I had to reply to this.)

I must somewhat strongly disagree with part of this. While someone may respond to stressors in different ways -- mask it, bury it, (try to) ignore it (but see below), fry it up with fava beans and a light chainti -- and one person's stressors may not be the same as another's, one does not really ever really completely eliminate stress without removing the stressor. Let me rephrase: Being able to handle a stressor does not mean that it can be discounted or does not exist. It will be and always be causing stress as long as it is present, no matter how it is handled.

Clearly, to Adondria, receiving death threats is a stressor (based on the context of their posts in relation to the discussion.) How they 'handle' it is important for their day-to-day coping mechanism, and those of their co-workers, but does not diminish that there is a stressor. Indeed, many ways of 'handling' a stressor that make it seem like it is no longer a stressor, in fact make the stress much, much worse.

This being said, you are right in that one person's stress is another person's "What's all the fuss about then?" The question of what is a stressor and what is not is a difficult one in mental health to answer since it is so messily darn subjective. It's not objective like, "EET'S NAWT AH TOOMAH!" =)