View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 51
03-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil0812 View Post
I agree with this but even with all these fixes, I'm not really inclined to play Foundry Missions.

As someone else said, most missions are a crap shoot with poor spelling, grammar, and basic competence in writing that leaves much to be desired.

As such, I just have zero motivation to even touch the Foundry, despite the whole Foundry spotlight which ostensibly finds good missions for me.

To me, the Foundry isn't a substitute for content. It just isn't and it never will be. Sorry
In all fairness, I see bad spelling and typos scattered throughout Cryptic's dialogue and mission text as well. They could integrate a spell checker into the Foundry. That will help some. Bethesda Game Studios incorporated one into the Creation Kit for Skyrim, so it would be useful. Grammatical errors also exist to a lesser degree than spelling errors in Cryptic's work. And like ALL of Cryptic's writing can be classified as competent. I've played some official missions that I felt were really badly written.

The biggest differences between Foundry authors and Cryptic is that Cryptic gets paid to develop content, and they take forever to do it.

So you should at least give Foundry missions a try. It cannot hurt if you are looking for something to do while you wait for God only knows how long befire the next trickle of content from Cryptic comes dripping in. We were told that the Foundry wouldn't be a substitute for official content. But yet aside from the Featured Episode series that was finished as of last saturday, there IS no official content.

There are a lot of talented people out there writing Foundry missions. At least respect their efforts to do what Cryptic cannot be bothered to do, working with a limited and buggy system and still managing to release content that many consider to be superior to Cryptic's work.

Yes, you'll come across some trash amidst the treasures. But at least when you find one of the treasures, you'll have a great in-game experience. Who knows? Maybe you may even be inspired to create a mission of your own and hope that those who play it will see it as a treasure instead of trash.

The real test of a foundry author is putting up with the criticism and continuing to write missions. Those who do like their work will continue to play it. Those who don't will not. But they'll play someone else's work that they do like.

Ladies and Gentlemen, based on h2orat's statement, I think we can safely infer that if we want to experience content more regularly than we've seen do far, then we need to look to the Foundry to find it. PW won't hire enough new employees to staff the STO team up to what it should be. So it is up to us to entertain ourselves. Foundry is as good a system as any to do so. It sucks, but I am used to things sucking when Cryptic is concerned, at least in terms of what they promise about content.

That's just me. Others' opinions will differ.