View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 74
03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
in the absence of any canon information one way or the other, soft canon tech manuals are the next best thing. my conclusions on how phaser arrays work fits the visuals, and doesn't violate canon
You claimed that the energy moving down the emitter increased its power. I'll repost your comment
Quote:
i get the impression because i know the trek science behind how phasers work. with arrays, the longer they are, the more individual emitters they have. each emitter holds its own charge, and the more emitters that are used in a beam discharge, the more powerful the beam can be. thats that moving energy effect you see in the shows along the array, each emitter's energy is being gathered at the firing point. the large dorsal array on a galaxy class has 200 emitters
What is visibly observed is that energy travels down the array from opposing directions, converges, and fires on it's target.

Unless stated otherwise in the movies or series, it's non-canon.

Quote:
that bop had a haxzor cloak, it got blown apart after it was defeated. the bop at that time was more of a threat to the cruisers of that era, the connie refit was only 6 times larger then a bop. during tng that same size of bop was 144 ties smaller then a galaxy class.
Which was why I had said that weapons and Captain make the difference.

Or, are you going to say that firing torpedoes while cloaked isn't for offensive purposes?

Even if the Constitution-class ship was only 6 times larger than a BoP, the Excelsior was also present.

Quote:
i believe that was a planetary outpost? whatever it was its defenses and weapons were proboly nothing compared to an actual statship.
The outpost was planetary, this is true. But the weapon was powerful enough to disable the same BoP that attacked the outpost in one shot when it was shoved into a freighter cargo bay. Yeah, the BoP had it's shields down, but that's their fault for being so cocky.

Quote:
it didn't get any kills in those instances, but it did disable some ships. cardassian ships are considered inferior to federation ships of similar size, but they stood up pretty well to "phaser cannon fire and six quantum torpedoes." http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Keldon_class

heres some more documentation for you on that, this isn't just my opinion.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Cardassian "In 2367, Cardassian technology was notably inferior to that of the Federation. A Cardassian warship was easily destroyed by the USS Phoenix, even when the warship had the ability to penetrate the Phoenix's shields. Cardassians on board the USS Enterprise-D made several comments about the superiority of Federation technology, notably the ship's transporter technology, as well as the vessel's sensors, which were able to detect the classification of Cardassian ships at long ranges, an ability that Cardassian sensors did not have."
1) In that episode, it was up against, initially 3 Keldon-Class ships that were heavily upgraded by the Obsidian Order. After one of the ships was disabled, another 3 came in. 6 on 1.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Defiant_%28episode%29
From your link on the Keldon-class ships:
"Built jointly with the Romulan Tal Shiar, these Keldon-class warships were fitted with cloaking devices, enhanced top speeds and weaponry"http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Keldon_class
2) The Keldon-class ships were build in the 2370s. Prior to that, yes, the Galor-class ships were inferior.

Quote:
other ships have done basically the same thing, or done it quicker. bug ships and bops explode from 1 hit all the time, that's their purpose on screen.
I will concede this point. But, unshielded, they did way more damage to a Breen cruiser than an array could do in one shot. Also, firing that many quantum torpedoes Breen kill either means a) quantum torpedoes are weak, b) overkill shot, c) canon, but not. Fleet actions seem to make canon a murky area. I suppose it's in the best interest of eye-candy to have a ship blown up by one torpedo, or take severe damage from 4+ torpedo shots. It's been like that from the series through the movies.

Quote:
what else could it be? its small, heavily armed, and more expendable then larger ships.
Comparing a warship to a cruiser is like comparing a submarine to a luxury cruise. The Defiant is meant to do away with individual crew quarters and recreational/science spaces. It sacrifices all of that for smaller profile and maneuverability. If you take all of that stuff out of a cruiser, I'm sure you could drastically reduce the size of the ship.

Quote:
the defient's warp core is 2-3 decks high, a galaxy class's is 12 decks high. not sure what all the height is for, but 1 is a hell of a lot bigger then the other. if you want to go quoting memory alpha, i will too

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Galaxy_class "The warp core was one of the most powerful in Starfleet, generating approximately 12.75 billion gigawatts of power. (TNG: "True Q") The efficiency of the warp drive could be tweaked to a point where it rivaled the new Intrepid-class ships introduced in 2370. (TNG: "Force of Nature")"

the maximum speed has more to do with the nacelles and warp coils, the core is just a big power source, it isn't the limiting factor on speed. except in the case of the equinox, that twig they call a warp core it had was likely the limiting factor.
Operative word: "was". Yeah, La Forge is a genius, but he was really only motivated by rivalry with the Chief Engineer on the USS Intrepid. And, that was more of a competition for power efficiency. Not power generated.

Quote:
you post documentation, that is really grasping for straws now, interpret it in a bias way to try to prove your points, and then i shoot holes in your evidence and submit a little common sense were there is no solid information ether way. the defiant may be sisko's pimp hand, but it does not outgun heavy cruisers and battleships
Showing documentation of canon to justify my reasoning versus relying on memory, non-canon technical manuals, and personal opinion. And you say that I'm the one grasping at straws?