View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 9 Great Feedback!
03-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Anyway, I'm sorry again if this comes across as too critical. Keep up the good work.
Don't apologize! Given your reputation as one of the Foundry's most successful authors, it's wonderful to get your feedback.

Quote:
Anyway, you might want to put a note that the stealth approach is very hard without guidance, maybe even recommending people use the easy mode on their first play through. You might want to change the names of the two options to "Normal" and "Expert" or something like that.
This is an excellent suggestion. Although I tried to be very explicit about the differences between hard and easy mode (and that failure is a very real possibility on hard), many players will probably choose that option simply because they don't like the sound of "easy." I'll go in and change the options to "normal" and "expert," and adjust the wording to reflect your recommendations.

Quote:
Commander Taryn? I think it would be more fitting if she were a captain. While the game has you commanding a ship at less than captain rank, I think your (the player's) situation should be treated as an anomaly. Other people in command of a ship should be captains, in my opinion.
You know, I actually thought of this. Because the mission only requires the player to be at level 16+, I decided against it. After all, Samantha Taryn is supposed to be your protégé--it would be strange if she was already a captain given that the player might only be a lieutenant commander or commander. While I appreciate the recommendation, I'll probably leave this as is.

Quote:
I don't think the help text is really necessary in the next map pop-up. I believe players should be familiar with that sort of pop-up from playing the regular game already. It's your call, but I don't really think that's needed (maybe you've been getting some bad reviews or something, but I've never experienced anything related to that).
(Pointing to my nose) Sadly, this is exactly why I put those prompts into the mission. With my Deadly Intentions mission series, I had an unusual situation where the final two missions in the trilogy required the player to be at least level forty-one; however, the first was available to players at all levels. That first mission received several one star reviews from players who accidentally warped out of the mission, thinking they could travel to one of the maps in sector space. Some became quite agitated, believing I had led them on a goose chase searching for something that didn't exist (one of those players even gave all three of my missions a one star review just for spite).

Of course, the downside of adding the prompts is that experienced players might find them condescending. Hopefully, they'll understand that I'm offering this help to newer players and not take offense.

Quote:
I'd suggest putting the scan sensor anomalies objectives as a single objective with all five listed and then using component reached and component complete to load the other events. It would make the mission list less cluttered.
This is a good idea. Right now, the anomalies are not objects with which you interact; rather, I've used place markers that allow me to keep the identity of the objects hidden until the player gets in range. The actual interaction is purely optional (although the player probably won't know that). If I changed the objective from reaching place markers to interacting with objects, I could combine them into a single objective, but I wouldn't be able to hide them (they would be visible the moment the objective became active). Any recommendations on this?

Quote:
In terms of the included back story, I think it's an innovative idea, but unfortunately it wasn't quite enough to connect with me on an emotional level.
I knew this wasn't going to be a hit with everyone. Thankfully, several of the early player reviews have pointed to this as one of the things they liked most about the mission. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you're in the minority on this..

As I recall, you weren't the biggest fan of the Deadly Intentions story either, but that was the feature most responsible for its success (it certainly wasn't my technical prowess).

p.s. That was a friendly nudge... please don't interpret it as a challenge or dismissal of your opinion.

Quote:
Keep up the good work.
Thank you! And thanks for taking the time to play my mission and offer some truly excellent suggestions.