View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
While I can agree to disagree , IMHO it didn't need all that .
If it would have been a tale of the origin of the Doomsday Machine ... -- like the hints in the "Vendetta" novel about it being created as a superweapon to fight the Borg by an embittered race who didn't care how many civilizations their weapon destroyed as long as they got the Borg as well -- that would have been fine (4 me at least) .
Shoe horning it into becoming B'Vat's evil plot of the week took away from the story , not added to it .
I'm not wild about how it was used either, but then I'm not a big fan of B'vat anyway. He feels waaay too cartoony (especially with the VO he got in Doomsday Device). As for the device being an anti-Borg weapon, I'll just say that, IMO, Trek fans have this habit of connecting dots that don't need to be connected (V'ger to the Borg, Trelane to Q, and a few others). But that's another discussion.

Quote:
I like that one ... in a "I hate it but I like it" kind of way .
It's the best "questionable morals" story this game has to offer .
It makes you stop and think for a sec about mindlessly following orders . That one is GOOD Star Trek !!
Good Star Trek makes you think .
And unlike "B'Vat's evil plot of the week" , it makes perfect sense for the Undine to pull something like that .
The fact that the Romulans don't retaliate is the fail , not that great mission .
The problem is that your captain gets thrown the universe's biggest Idiot Ball. It's obvious after you scan the four crates that you're being played for a sucker by Admiral Not-A-Spy. At that point, any Starfleet officer with a modicum of brains would put the mission on hold to figure out just what exactly is going on. But you're not given that option, you're just railroaded into believing Admiral Not-A-Spy's obvious lies and you go on a killing spree in this Romulan medical research facility. If you were given a choice, if you could stop and say, "let's open up these crates just to double check," then that mission would be sooooo much better.