View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 105
03-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I have. Most of the Federation turf on that map is composed of unexplored areas and non-Federation members.

And, honestly, I use the tech manuals and maps as sources but take them with a grain of salt.

I'm inclined to put the series writer's bibles and submission guidelines ahead of tech manuals, maps, novels, etc. There is generally dated information in the internal design documents like Janeway's first name but they represent the process behind how a story is constructed whereas tech manuals and MSDs and maps were only selectively used by series writers and not taken all that seriously.

From my perspective as a Foundry author, sure I'm a canon nerd who drops lots of references but, overall, I'm interested in understanding and recreating the magic of what went on in the writers' room, not buying into Tolkien-like concordances.

The Galaxy map they released is also flat. The galaxy may be a disc but it's not THAT flat.

The Federation controls very little of the space that's colored blue on that map. Anyone who they're not at war with tends to filter around. There's millions of inhabited worlds inside that space and only 150 are Federation members.
Retcon. Sherman's Planet (Trouble with Tribbles) is "near the Klingon-federation border." A war was fought with the Romulans using mostly impulse and/or early warp ships (per Balance of Terror). If the majority of space is 'unexplored,' why are the colonies furthest out being colonized first/ fought over? It would be like fighting the War of 1812 over Washington State before even colonizing/exploring Oklahoma.

And the galaxy really is flat enough to be represented in 2d. Local charts would need to be 3 d but strategic/galaxy maps, not so. The z axis isn't adding that much more.