View Single Post
Lt. Commander
As per EP of GW2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
In Guild Wars 2 we have three currencies: gold, karma, and gems. Gold is the common in-game currency. Karma, which players earn in-game but cannot trade, is used for unique rewards. And gems are the currency thatís bought and used to purchase microtransactions.

We have a new player-driven market that allows players to trade gold for gems and gems for gold. If you want something, whether itís an in-game item or a microtransaction, you ultimately have two ways to get it: you can play to earn gold or you can use money to buy gems. We think thatís important, because it lets more players participate on a level playing field, whether they use their free time or their disposable income to do it.

MMO veterans will note the similarities of our system to EVE Onlineís PLEX system. As in that case, our system takes gold trading out of the hands of real-money trading (RMT) companies and puts it directly in the hands of players.
Replace "gold" with "energy credits", "karma" with "gold-pressed latinum" and "gems" with "dilithium", and you can eerily replace "Guild Wars 2" with "Star Trek Online".

Naturally, the initial reactions from the community have been mixed.

I for one have been looking greatly forward to GW2 after being a longtime player of GW1, and I this announcement has not changed my outlook. I am interested how if the ArenaNet / NCsoft version will differ from what we have from Cryptic / PWE (if at all).