Thread: Concept: K'Vort
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 1 Concept: K'Vort
03-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Let me start off by saying that I’m a huge Star Trek fan. I’ve seen many episodes, but not all of them. My favorite villain of all time is the Borg. It’s a great show. One of my favorite species is, of course, the Klingons. They’re delightful. I’ve enjoyed watching some of the Klingon-centric episodes (Redemption, Soldiers of the Empire, and Shadows and Symbols, et al.), so one thing is a sticking point in STO’s KDF for me.
Where’s my K’Vort?
For those of you that don’t know what a K’Vort is, it’s basically the B’rel’s big brother. Really big brother. Typically, K’Vort-class Battle Cruisers come in sizes close to that of a Vor’Cha. They’re seen in such episodes as TNG: Redemption (IKS Hegh’Ta, and the ships Kurn defended the IKS BortaS from), TNG: Yesterday’s Enterprise (the Klingons that attacked the Enterprises), and Star Trek III and IV (The HMS Bounty). They’re distinguishing feature is the wings (swept UP instead of DOWN, like the B’rel; or in STO, a B’rel out of combat). Of course, that would be a sticking point. We have up-wings in-game already. Problem is, they go from super-awesome-gorgeous to hunched-over-stubby as soon as someone so much as looks at you aggressively.
So, I propose the following:
1: Make the wing animation optional. Put an option in the Ship Tailor to turn it off, and select which style you want when it’s off. That’s something that I think should have been done a long time ago.
2: Introduce the K’Vort as a Lt.G. Heavy Battle Cruiser Retrofit, essentially a sized-up B’rel model with some touched-up art, which is effectively what a K’Vort is. 4 Forward/Aft Weapons, base hull 37,000, 1500 crew, standard Cloak, turn rate of 10. 4 device slots, 3 Tactical Console slots, 4 Engineering Console slots, 3 Science Console slots (+1 over the Negh’Var). Commander/Lt.Cmdr. Engineering BOff slots, Lt. Tactical BOff slot, Lt./Ensign Universal BOff slots (Negh’Var setup, but exchange Ens Eng and Lt. Sci for Universal), +10 Weapon/Engine power setting. Comes equipped with a new console:

Console – Universal – Energy Compression Chamber
+5% extra chance to proc energytype debuff
+20% All Energy damage
+7% Weapon Power drain when firing weapons.
+5% Crit Chance
+25% Crit Severity
This console allows your weapons’ prefire sequence to compress the energy bolt, making them do more damage on impact by packing more energy into the hit, at the cost of a slightly higher energy requirement.

Ship Database entry: The K’Vort-class Cruiser was a mainstay in the Klingon fleet for over a century. When Klingon starship designers looked at it, though, it was clear that it did not meet the needs of the new battlefield, but they did not want to do away with an iconic design of Klingon Imperial might. So, they went to the drawing board and updated the ship’s weapons and spaceframe. The ancient symbol of the Empire had regained its teeth, and would serve as a symbol of the Empire’s eternal strength.
This new, stronger K’Vort is the model Klingon ship. Sturdy, cheap to construct, easy to maintain, and the home of an arsenal. What’s more, it’s deceptive. This ship, seen as out-dated by the Empire’s foes, will be full of surprises when it reaches the battlefield.

So, who’s boarding the K’Vort?