View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm going to do my best to take a look at this tonight and give you some feedback and food for thought.

EDIT: Okay, so I played through the mission to make sure I was on the same page as you were.

To be honest, you've answered your own questions about this mission when you said...
Quote:
. I thew together a bunch of "test chamber" type maps, and eventually loosely tied them together with a bare-bones storyline to pretty it up for publishing for public testing.
What I played through is exactly that. it's not a mission per se, but an author's attempt to learn the tools at his disposal. I have one of these missions, too. It never got published but it's my go-to place for trying stuff out. If you want my opinion, I think you should just accept that this particular mission is just a proof of concept and leave it be.

Having read your Author's Notes in the mission it seems to me like you've more or less discovered the technical extent of what the Foundry can do as it stands right now. It's certainly not the most robust set of tools in the world. There isn't really anything I could see that anyone could teach you about the Foundry that you haven't learned by your own trial and error. For all intensive purposes I'd say you're ready to jump in head first and swim.

As such, what I really think you ought to do is take the technical knowledge you gained from this mission and apply it to a new project. Start with a story in mind that you want to tell and let your new found understanding about how the Foundry works shape how that story is told. Since you seem to have a good grasp of what the Foundry's technical limitations are, then you should be able to anticipate where they'll affect the telling of that story.

Long story short, you're good to go, sir. Just come up with a story you want to tell and let the rest fall into place where it will.