View Single Post
Lt. Commander
Federation Mission - Skirmish
Author: Cryptic
Allegiance: Federation
Project ID: Cryptic

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a good mission with great map design and detailed story dialogue. I would highly recommend this mission to anyone who likes good maps with tough, but fun battles and great story dialogue.

The response button “Continue” is used throughout this mission, from a standard response to general log entries through BOFF reports. In the log entries it is perfectly appropriate to use “Continue” to proceed with the rest of an entry. However the use in response to BOFF reports and especially recommendations just doesn’t feel right. For example; “Captain, the bridge is on fire and we must evacuate!” to which the player replies via the response button, “Continue.” Does that read or feel right to anyone?

I do understand why I see more authors in the Foundry using this as a response. If Cryptic is using it then it must be alright. Now don’t get me wrong, in my opinion the author must ultimately decide how to tell the story, but one of the goals should be to make the player feel more a part of the story. Mind you in this mission that is the only think I noted as an issue but it illustrates my overall point.

Below are a couple things I noted while playing the mission. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good, detailed description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: The grant dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This initial task is good with a clear location for the start of the first mission map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a standard mission entry prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
Donatu System: This is a good map design with a good battle and well written dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The use of the response button “Continue” in general and when used as a response to a BOFF report or recommendation.

Axon: This is a great map design with tough, but fun battles. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The use of the response button “Continue” in general and when used as a response to a BOFF report or recommendation.

---------End Report----------

This is a good mission in the Cryptic Federation series. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Brian