View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
I made the switch from all Borg Mk XII Antiproton to Mk XII Borg Tetryon weapons.

I really like Antiproton energy weapons because of the larger punch they can pack but I made the move to Tetryon to be more specialized in shield cracking.

I tested a couple of setups and found varying results.

The Build I settled for looks like this:

Defiant Refit
Forward weapons
2 x Mk XII (Borg) Tetryon DHC and 2 x Mk XII (Borg) Photon Torpedo

AFT 3 x Mk XII (Borg) Tetryon Turret

Tetryon is outstanding for ripping down shields; however, they really donít do much damage to bare hull and thatís where my Photon Torpedoís come in.

Using Tetryon Dual Canons, I was able to bring down shield facing in about 2 seconds but the overall damage to the bare hull was to low IMO and I decided to go with DHC for a bit more damage.

If youíre running a Shield stripping build with Tetryon Glider then Tetryons are the way to go.

Antiproton weapons can hit much harder than Tetryon but can sometimes take much longer to bring down shield facings but against bare hull they can be quite devastating.

I use my rapid fire photon torpedo setup to balance out my overall DPS.

There will never be a perfect for all energy weapon type; however, there will always be perfect for your build energy weapon types.
Based on testing this past weekend, I've found that Antiproton weapons with Tetryon Glider (from two Omega set items) seems to be the best offensive platform available in the current patch. Tetryon Glider easily outpaces the base tetryon weapon procs for shield removal because of its 100% proc rate. However, unlike pure Tetryon weapon builds, AP maintains consistent damage regardless the target's current shield or hull state.

When deathray38 and I were doing stationary AP vs. Tetryon fire tests against each other's ships, we were killing each other at about 1-1 while he was running Tetryon Glider set bonus while I was not. This suggests that anti-proton weaponry is roughly equal in damage to Tetryon weapons + Tetryon Glider. Therefore, (AP + Tetyron Glider) > (Tetryon + Tetryon Glider). Subtract Tetryon Glider from the above, and all that's left is AP > Tetryon. I'll be happy test the latter with anyone fully spec'd for Tetryon to see if this holds up in practice.