View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor Zexx
[...]
I'm hoping our "pets" won't become disposable redshirts who will be replaced with little or no hassle. I'm hoping a veteran crew who've been under your command for a long time will likewise grow with you - and I hope there are options for humanizing (for lack of a better term) them and fleshing out their lives - and maybe even inhabiting them as well as the forgotten roles on a starship.

"Lower Decks" remains a fan favorite TNG episode precisely because of that.
I can't remember where, but I remember reading a dev post that said that the NPC crews won't die. During battle %ages of the crew will die and decrease performance, but not the actual NPC crew that you'll be able to take on away missions. The NPC crews, captain and ship will be disabled/incapacitated and not destroyed/killed. At least that seems to be the plan right now.

I like your post on a whole. There was a thread a week or two ago, "NPC crews is a lie" and it was basically pointing out that while they state that the PC is the captain, it will probably feel more like the PC is the whole ship. Cryptic seems to be trying to give each individual player a whole episode feel, and not just from the perspective of one of the crew members. I really like that approach.