View Single Post
Lt. Commander
Quote:
...I think I figured out another reason why I'm not getting brought into this. I'm going through the motions of the main character, but in the conversations (which this mission is about 90% of) I'm not in them as the character. I'm the silent third party. In essence, you're shifting me from second to third person all the time, without a real reason or change in perspective. It's 'go get the clothes' 'go take a shower' go do all these things, which are decidedly making me an actor in the play, not an audience member. Then, I'm shoved out of the spotlight with the conversation. I feel like a stagehand guiding a bunch of paraplegic actors about through their stage motions.
Yes, for now. That isnít the case in the entire show.

For act 1 it isnít necessary for the player to be in 100 percent control. Act 1 is all introductory. That is so in the next 35 Chapters we wonít have to do anymore pointer scenes.

All the exposition is done in the first act. In Act II when you go out of the house and start by the fountain, that begins the reduction of dialog. So when Act 2 Scene 3 starts, there isnít going to be anymore exposition.

Act 2 begins the more action part of the story. Also, we think of it as a reward to the reader who patiently stayed with the story. Also, it sets the tone as a light action for the player. next when the tension picks up in the story it is going to provide contrast to the player.

Quote:
Scene 4... 'I check Kalina's sleeping body' ... I check Kalina's.... I? ME? I GET TO DO SOMETHING? I thought I WAS Kaliena. Now I'm me? When she's on maternity, do I get my ship back too?
Yes, in play testing with real people we did not have Kaliena in on stage at all, but many people felt we should have her staged in the show because people were not going to be able to make the connection to her without a frame of reference.

So she was added in the story as a staged stand in.

Yes, you get your ship back. Admiral Utta Dyrus stated that in the conversation they had in the previous scene.

It is also restated in the following scenes. Yes, she is only 3 weeks pregnant in the story, and the entire story is only a 7 day duration.

The entire story of Call of Cthulhu and Terror in the Patch only occur between February 28 and April 2. This is the pagan month of Aries. Cthulhu can only interact with the mortal plane in the month or Aries when the planets, solar systems, and galaxies are aligned to the galactic ecliptic. And he has to be called by the famous chant:

Quote:
"Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagen."
Which is why the story is called Call of Cthulhu. In Terror in the Patch, which is the novel that is after this one which we have released five chapters of the twenty-eight, when the crew walks aboard the drifting freighter the Aenar pilgrims they find are uttering that chant.

But we as audience members playing Terror in the Patch do not know why they are saying that. In Call of Cthulhu we get to learn why that chant is dangerous.

Quote:
As for the setting... It doesn't feel very dreamlike. Some mist, some effects... SOMETHING. (I also have a problem with every Starfleet officer seemingly dreaming exclusively the Bajoran Shrine on DS9, but that's a separate issue).
No, this scene main purpose is to let the audience know that Alan Hunt can create these Illusions, he reached back into her mind and created a past memory.

This was the previous story to this one. The scene helps establish to the audience the personal history of Kaliena and her recent battles with the Borg there.

Yes, Joanna Harley the coauthor, she wrote that back story for her character. We included it in this show because we wanted to bring our show alive in the game. So we took elements of all our different writers and their characterís personal history in the game in put them in our live shows.

All our main novels, when you come across NPCís they are real people in Star Trek Online. Instead of making up a name of each NPC in the show, we staged real people as NPCís to give them better depth and back stories.

Also, as the player progress through this show, the story is slowly going to move away from Kaliena, but it is not going to completely move away from her. It is just going to line up to how Terror in the Patch starts out. In Terror in the Patch, the player comes in as a ship in the Fleet Sf41.

Quote:
What is Dryus doing here? Why do I need to talk to him? Why is he on the other side of the station? I've been led around by the hand for so long I have no idea where to go during this seemingly gratuitous combat section.
If you actually read the previous scenes, it is well established who Utta Dyrus is. He is the guy who is the father of the baby. He doesnít play a large role in the first 3 Acts. He comes in later when the Story shifts to Andoria. At this point of the story, you only need to know they have a relationship, they are having a baby, they survived a battle at Ds9, and Alan Hunt creates this dream for Kaliena where the opposite of that happens ( a nightmare). Later on in the show when they are doing a love scene, it will make more sense. But also, we are starting the love story part of the show.

Quote:
...Q. Really? The dream is a non-sequitor, and the visitation strikes me only as a hackneyed, overused attempt to inject conflict and stakes when the author is too lazy, badly-versed, or otherwise incapable of doing it normally. (and if we actually knew the Cthuhlu mythos, this warning is wholly uneccesary).
If you have no idea why a dream sequence would be necessary, then you have never read the actual story to Call of Cthulhu. Which was explained in the dinner scene.

No, in our shows, Q is a character played by a player. When we wrote the show live on stage, he is a very integral part of the story. You just do not know why, which you wonít until Chapter 35. Q never reveals his true motives in Star Trek.

If you claim to know about Cthulhu and you're wondering why Q is in the story, you are going to need him later. Especially in the time travel sequences. Cthulhu is a powerful alien who lives outside of the universe.

Also, the dream sequence let's you know that at this moment in the story that exposition is done, you now have to figure every thing on your own.

Quote:
Act two... My God, a choice. It's depressing that my first one is over an hour into the mission.
No it is not depressing at all. By now it should be well established in the players mind that the "this is a long story" was factual.

Lord of the Rings started off with a very long Introduction. Dracula's introduction was 12 chapters long out of its 28 chapters.

Quote:
Oh, and she took my bridge officers. Lovely.
Yes, this starts the movement of the story away from a dialog heavy story and it will slowly start to peel away that for the reader. See, in a story here we start from a traditional novel format and over time move to a traditional movie format or TV format and then into a Video game format (MMORPG).

Quote:
I find it odd that I get to decide not Kaliena's choice of coffee, but my BRIDGE OFFICER'S... highly illogical
I find it odd that you do not realize that your concerns of not being in control is now confounded when the story does that.

Yes, this is introducing the player to the idea that they are going to have to make choices in the story and some of those choices have consequences. If you Pick the wrong choice you are not going to get key information for later on in the show when you will need to recall that information. We decided to introduce that with a coffee scene.

Quote:
...Can we beam there?
No.
Why not?
...Magic...
These are Vulcan ruins. Ruins that will soon be holding a full expedition team. Why is there no explanation for the lack of beaming other than 'lol I don't know.' Very thin excuse.

It isnít a thin excuse.

If they reveal that to you in the first Act, there would be no point in playing the remaining 6 acts. It is called ďa clue.Ē

Quote:
And why precisely do we run the entire morning household routine in the town square?
Because, the previous scene walked the player through the house, so there is no point and revisiting those sets. Also, the Foundry is limited to 10 maps a episode. It was a better production value to just do it in dialog. However, it was a good point to teach the player who may not be familiar with how button pushing is in the Foundry to help train them for up and coming scenes later in the show.

Quote:
Just how big is this transporter blocker? Why not take the transporter to the continent, then hike? Or take teh transporter, then the shuttle? Sure'y there's a closer spot than two hours away... Highly illogical.

It is two days away. It is going to be a two day trek over land.

But okay, since you need entire explanation. I will provide it to you.

There was battle in the part of that world in a long distance war fought eons ago by the Vulcans. The debris from those ruins is filled with a technology we do not understand is buried under the surface of that continent.

The player when they investigate that area, are going to learn this. It is also tied to the Cult of Cthulhu story arc. See, the Cult of Cthulhu has been around for Eons, they have this technology which allows them to use portals to go to other worlds.

Cthulhu who is this alien organism who lives outside of the universe lives independent of time and space. He along with this technology is preventing the Vulcans from aligning their transporter beams early in the show.

However, after the players go to the wilderness and explore there and investigate it scientifically. The engineer and science officers figure out a way to get around that.

Which we wanted the players to have to figure to do. Also, it has already been established in the scene that Dr. Quinn is heading the advance survey team there. He has only been there since the 28 of February. In the story, it is only the 1 March. That is only two days.

[To be continued]