View Single Post
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner
Greetings, good sir! I would very much like your opinion on one of my foundry projects. It hasn't gotten much play and has had mixed reviews from those who have tried it though I, personally, think it's one of my best.

MISSION NAME: AJS: Finding Resolution
AUTHOR: ajstoner
MINIMUM LEVEL: Game calls this a Lieutenant mission but it is designed for either teams or high level solo play.
ALLEGIANCE: Federation
ST-HDW83F7ZH
ESTIMATED MISSION LENGTH: 30 to 40 minutes
METHOD OF REPORT DELIVERY: Forum post. I am a writer and have a thick skin.

Many thanks,

A.J. Stoner
Federation Mission - Finding Resolution
Author: ajstoner
Allegiance: Federation
Project ID: ST-HDW83F7ZH

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a good mission with some good map design with some story to drive the mission forward. Make no mistake this is primarily a battle oriented mission and even though those are not my favorite types of missions I would still recommend it to other players who like those types of missions. However as most of the battles are currently designed I would not recommend it on “Elite” level. It was tough enough on “Normal” level.

In each of the maps below I mention the enemy battles need to be better balanced. What this means is while battling your way through a map is fun it needs to have some balance to give the player a chance, especially in the space battles. The placement of all high level group’s right on top of each other is a little too much. As I mention above and in the map section below, it is hard enough on “Normal” and would most likely be impossible on “Elite” level. Many of the ground/interior map battles where similarly out of balance with lots of high level mobs and some grouped together so the player is engaging several high level mobs all at once.

This brings me to my next point regarding respawn points on the maps. On all of the ground/interior maps I noted that the respawn point is located on top of the initial spawn point. If you are going to have such high level mobs, and if they are balanced mobs, consider moving the respawn points deeper into the maps. If you manage to fight all the way across a map and engage a high level mob, as you wear them down you get killed, respawn and have to run all the way across the map to find them back at full strength it can get tedious. This is what I mean by balancing battles and having respawn points deeper in the map.

This is a minor issue compared to the others above but I mention your use of the response button “Continue” on pretty much all the maps where there was dialogue. It is a pet peeve on mine but I feel there are better responses especially when it comes to BOFF report responses. I did make some recommendations on the first map to give you some examples of possible ways to use the response button.

Below are some things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is a good grant dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This is a good initial task with a clear start location for the first custom map.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the entry prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
Finding Resolution: This is a good map design with very tough battles throughout. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-The enemy battles needs to be better balanced. It is difficult enough on “Normal” it would probably be impossible on “Elite”.
-The post battle dialogue; consider changing "That's appears to be the last of them, Captain" to read "That appears to be the last of them, Captain".
-The use of the response button "Continue" for the post battle Tactical BOFF report. Consider changing it to "Agreed" or something along those lines.
-The post "Inspect the base" dialogue response button "Continue". Consider changing it to "It was one of our warheads" or something along those lines.
-The use of the response button "Continue". From this point forward I will note it on a map and will cover this in the summary above.

U.S.S. Resolution: This is a nice map design with some tough battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-The enemy battles needs to be better balanced. There were several higher level mobs.
-There is a wall with a door right behind the initial spawn point that is sitting in the air about 2m off the deck. You can see the original map door behind it.
-The only respawn point is on top of the original spawn point. Consider placing it farther into the map.
-The use of the response button "Continue"

U.S.S. Resolution 2: This is a good map design with some good balanced battles. This should be a pattern for balancing the other maps. It is a good mix of low medium and high level mobs spread out. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The only respawn point is on top of the original spawn point. Consider placing it farther into the map.

U.S.S. Resolution 3: The map design is good with some tough battles. The story dialogue is well written.
-The enemy battle needs to be better balanced. You have at least two high level mobs right on top of each other.
-The use of the response button "Continue".

U.S.S. Resolution 4: The map design itself is nice but the map itself seems unnecessary for the very short interaction and dialogue. Consider removing this map and having the player find a console on the previous map to initiate the autodestruct sequence.

The Battle of Ker’rat: This is a good map design with very tough battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-The enemy battles needs to be better balanced. This is especially true on the final wave. You need to increase the Federation support forces level. As they are currently they get wiped out very quickly and the player is left to battle through the remaining forces.
-The use of the response button "Continue".

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a good job with this mission and I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
Brian

This critique report also filed 04/28/2012 on forum posting for: In depth mission reports upon request.