View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Just for clarification (mainly for those new to mmo gaming, as I see incorrect usage of the terms to describe the wrong player type in these types of situations):

Troll: A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject, as well as thinks every member of the forum is talking about them and only them. Trolls often go by multiple names to circumvent getting banned.

Greifer: A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players.

Noob: Plural of n00b. A new player, generally of a video game, that is unskilled and refuses to acknowledge this fact. There IS a difference between n00bs and newbies, and that is that newbies can and do learn.

With that in-mind, the best solution to avoid greifers is to join private matches with friends when you can or join the NormalSTF or EliteSTF channels in game to get a group of players together, I have run a lot of stfs with the people in the elite stf channel and can vouch for them being able to help you get your runs in with success (there have been in the past where greifers would join but for the most part they have been put on our ignore lists and never made it into another round with us)

I do agree that its a major issue in pugs (not just within sto but many other games and not just mmos) when you just want to jump in and play, but all you can do for the most part is at least work with the people willing to communicate and get the missions done, keep each other alive and let the greifer punish themselves by doing all the work for you (if and when they leave, its them who will get the penalty since that only applies to the first two that leave a public match).

On that note I do hope you find a group of players you can game on a regular basis and have fun, we are a community and for those willing to learn and are not rude and disrespectful there are fleets and individuals willing to help.