View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
Now, we could start discussing why PVP is the way it is. There are lots of reasons, some you as players know and some you donít. Discussing that particular topic wouldnít move us forward, now is not the time to figure out who is to blame for what and why.
This is exactly the time to have that discussion. It doesn't need to be a public flogging, but sweeping the problems of the past under the rug and not talking about them isn't constructive. Understanding how we got here is of enormous importance, as is finding out ways to avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

Quote:
Right now because PVP is in such bad shape that we (the developers) have to decide if we think we can turn this problem around. Participation in PVP related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people that log in to the game and play in any significant way.

SeeÖ I told you.. scary. I know, some of you are reading this and getting angry. I understand but this is simply the bare naked truth.
I can't see anyone in the PvP community getting angry at that. We know better than most the poor state that PvP is in, and if anything the brutal honesty is much appreciated. Hopefully we can be brutally honest about things too, and not have you get angry. There's quite a bit to be brutally honest about.

Quote:
Cryptic is a business and everything that makes up STO requires resources to develop, implement, and maintain. I think itís pretty obvious that since the launch of STO that PVP has not had a fair share of those resources allocated to it. This fact is the primary reason PVP is in the state that itís currently in.
Most people here are going to disagree. Lack of dev time on PvP related systems and infrastructure definitely hasn't helped, but it is not the primary reason that PvP in this game is failing. Not by a long shot.

The reason is because PvP isn't fun.

The bare essentials of space combat are incredibly fun. That's why you still have a small PvP community left. What isn't fun is the complete lack of balance, the pet spam, and the enormous skill gap that exists in the community -- which poor balance further exasperates.

In terms of what is most important for PvP, balance trumps everything by an order of magnitude.

And, I'm sure you've heard this before, but the devs in the systems and itemization teams don't have a foggy clue about balance. It's impossible to wrap your head around what is balanced and what is not in a game of this magnitude unless you play at a competitive level. None of the devs are interested in learning. That's the root problem. Fix that and you fix everything. Fail to fix it and all of the infrastructure and development focus on the non-balance related aspects of PvP will be a complete waste of time.

The cold hard truth is if you aren't willing to get serious about balance, you should just kill off PvP. If you're unwilling to look into and fix the root issue then there's nothing that can be done to save PvP. You're wasting your time and Cryptic's money.