View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektre12
Yeppers I think I have seen that. The exhaust would look like a phaser beam comming out the back.
You mean the airstream got so hot it became a stream of superheated plasma? That is -a lot- of thrust.

Just got a couple of questions about your mechanical design. Not going to touch on the basic principle, that's you department, but the airflow I'm curious about.

I see a reactor and mag drive stack remotely connected to a turbine stage. Turbine looks like a remote unit separate from the reactor which is good. Modular, and jettisonable in case emergency separation of the moving parts were ever deemed necessary.

Can you confirm air goes into the front (of the turbofan like impeller), goes into the heating element and out the back of the engine? First diagram at the top doesn't have a visible exhaust, hence the question.

If so this could be mounted on a aircraft or ship in such a way there is a smooth nacelle over the wing or hull surface for the reactor itself, and the only thing visible externally is the shroud where the fan and heating element is. Potentially you could have an aircraft shaped around the engine itself and the whole thing would look as sleek as a Skylon type spaceplane.

The curved intake duct means a more compact assembly which is perfect for a starship lifting engine. Design is currently not adapted for supersonic flight. Post Mach 1 you'd probably want a SR-71 type 'ramjet' appendage at the back, or some sort of scramjet for continuous supersonic airflow. Possibly your engine could have a common reactor and multiple turbine modules for different purposes. Cheap and modular.

However I'm unsure if this will work as a space drive - I guess once out of the atmosphere the exhaust and fan appendage could serve as a waste heat discharger (heatsink) and the turbine disconnected, whist reactor does whatever its supposed to do powering the ship electrically or with EPS or whatnot.