View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 1924
05-15-2012, 11:44 AM
More ships with names to go through, now by character!

Berryshine Punch, Tac
USS Harmony - Odyssey class, science variant. Flagship of my main, with her T4 diplomacy and habit for trying to find a peaceful resolution before kicking someone in the face.

USS Lyra - Luna class RSV. Named mostly for the constellation

USS Ussuri - Caitain Atrox carrier. Named for an especially rare breed of cat from Russia, supposedly a natural hybrid of various small wildcats in the area.

Rafa Berrianus, Bajoran Eng
USS Jerrado - Defiant class. This character's a Bajoran, and I thought the name of one of their moons fitted.

Sh'Ress ch'Thiran, Andorian Eng
USS Resolute. - TOS Constitution class. I couldn't find a definitive list of the original Connie names (I have since, and Resolute isn't on there, but meh). There were three HMS Resolutes in the past, but the one with the most influence on the name was the second one, the flagship of the ships sent to find Sir John Franklin's, who had been looking for the North-West Passage. (The other ships in that fleet included both the Enterprise and Intrepid, at least during the first expedition.) During its second search for Franklin, the Resolute ended up getting stuck in the ice.
The reason any of that matters was A: The link with the Enterprise and Intrepid, both canon Constitution class ships, which, to me, made the Resolute fit in with them, and the whole ice thing. As the captain of the ship is an Andorian. (biography wise, my Resolute was an original 23rd century Constitution, contemporary to the Enterprise and, especially, the Intrepid. The Vulcans got their own ship, and, I reasoned, the Andorians would insist on one of their own. The Tellarites too, but in their case it'd probably be more because they wanted to join in the argument than wanted to keep up with the Vulcans)

USS Resolute NCC (numbers)-A -Odyssey Class Operations Cruiser. My Andorian spent levels 1 - 50 entirely on her TOS Connie, and I leveled her up doing missions and patrols - not sitting back and doffing my way up. It was painful, but ultimately satisfying. Once she hit 50, I decided to retire the old Constitution and ... well, she deserved to have her name kept alive.

Arrhae ir'Menae, Reman (well, alien) Tac
USS Nei'rrh - Defiant class. Names stolen unashamedly from the Rihannsu series of books which, btw, I recommend wholeheartedly. They predate TNG and were made definitely uncanon by it, but they're enjoyable. Plus, there's a horta ensign in them. I want a horta ensign.
The name itself is, of course, Romulan. Quoting from the little glossary in the back of the book, "nei'rrh - small birds, similar in size and flight characteristics to the Terran humming birds ... with a poison-secreting spur on the upper mandible of the beak. Also an insult, referring to a person annoying or dangerous out of all proportion to their size, status or (usually) worth."
"Dangerous out of all proportion to their size." - this sums up the Defiant class perfectly.

M'Tirr, Caitian Eng
USS Stalwart - Caitian Atrox Carrier. No cat related name or pun here. I looked into what we actually know about Caitians, and one thing that came up is that they are really, really big on loyalty. Stalwart seems to fit pretty well.

Meliss OEH-417719 Alien (in this case, sentient Orion Entertainment Hologram) (No, really) Sci
USS Zimmerman - Oracle class Deep Space Science Vessel. Named for, naturally, Lewis Zimmerman, inventor of the Emergency Medical Holograms and father of modern holography.