View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by afree100
Hmm wonder how useful Multithreaded rendering actually is on my i5480m with Turbo Boost Disabled (due to power comsumption and temp. (90 degrees celcius) issues. And no my cooling is perfectly fine my GPU playing STO is at 70 degrees (shared GPU/CPU cooling) 100% usage for at least 1 hour play time. So nobody say OMG 90 degrees your going to fry your CPU that seems to be perfectly fine (my CPU was under stress testing while GPU at 100% with crysis to get 90 though. For laptops 90 degrees lasts you ages and overclocking Deticated Laptop graphics is perfectly fine to do. Sorry if I have gotten far far to off topic (since this is STO forums) but i enjoy/ed writing this. Also problebly a really good idea to turn off GPU accerated particles.
Considering the hysteresis warnings for most cards and CPUs starts flagging thermal issues around the 75-80C mark, you're going to run into slow but long-term damage with your hardware in your current setup. You may not notice it now, but the lifetime of the hardware will be noticeably shorter as a result. Your MTBF (Meantime between failure) will certainly not match the hardware specs for that reason alone under the best and ideal circumstances.

One would argue that the reasoning you are running at such high temperatures, assuming you're not doing folding or some sort of CPU/GPU high activity constantly in that vein, is that either your cooling solution has an insufficient radiator (also could be a bad fan) and/or an insufficient cooling liquid reservoir (which could also be a radiator liquid type problem). It could also point to insufficient thermal conductivity to the cooling solution (e.g. ineffective contact with thermal paste to the cooling system).

Back on topic, however, I suspect the reason the graphics glitches are occurring may have nothing to do with dx9 vs dx10 vs dx11. It may simply be an outdated (and/or potentially overheated) video card. The game tries, when set to do so under the advanced troubleshooting options in the video section, to reduce frames/detail when the card is under what it considers heavy load. The more modern cards obviously have no issues with this, but older ones certainly will (ATI or Nvidia). This dynamic level of detail adjustment works fine in most cases, but may not do so reliably on older cards.