STO under Wine/Linux/Mac
View Single Post
Join Date: Dec 2007
Working in Ubuntu 12.04!
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Hey people, just wanted to let you all know how I got my setup working on linux. I currently run 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (fresh install.)
1. I am using the current version of wine from their repo (
2. I set my environment to 32bit
3. I used winetricks to get ie7
WINEARCH=win32 winetricks ie7
I had to do the next two steps to fix that horrible stutter in the sound. Since I use Ubuntu, pulseaudio was enabled by default.
4. I disabled mmdevapi in winecfg (under the "libraries" tab)
5. I enabled alsa drivers for sound
WINEARCH=win32 winetricks sound=alsa
6. I managed to get it set as a maximized window. (This was trial and error since
the cursor wasn't matching the display.
All I can say is watch the tooltip hovers and use key commands as much as you can to get through the menus.)
All of this was done in a fresh wine directory. It apparently didn't even need any special DX install, the errors all seem to be non-fatal.
That's it! I have a
game, and don't need winblows anymore! I would like to say
to the community (and
) at this point as none would have beed possible without you!!!!