View Single Post
Lt. Commander
Hello Captains!

I know many of you had some questions regarding the Foundry’s EULA, so I am hoping that this thread will help point you in the right direction.

First, and foremost, the EULA has been provided to serve as a guideline for what you can use in/ do with the Foundry. Think of the Foundry as a pool you can swim in, and the EULA is the lifeguard that watches over it. Second, while the information below is being provided to you, please note that this can change at any time based on a variety of reasons, and you must always refer to the EULA for answers to your questions.

Here is some information in response to some of the questions I have seen come up most often:
1. Can we use the names of ships from any show/ movie? For example, show a Defiant class vessel called U.S.S. Defiant, or a Galaxy class ship named U.S.S. Enterprise? Not talking about showing anyone from the crew, just the ship itself.
Nothing in the EULA prevents this. Please refer to the EULA for a list of “Star Trek Properties”.
2. Can we use old names of ships on new ships, but change the letter in the registry number? For instance, U.S.S. Enterprise G.
Nothing in the EULA prevents this. Please refer to the EULA for a list of “Star Trek Properties”.
3. Are we allowed to use the character of Dax, with the symbiont in a new host?
4. Can I put a member of the Q species in my mission, as long as it is not “John de Lancie Q”?
5. Can we mention a person, but not show them? For instance, mention “James T. Kirk did XYZ…”
6. I know we cannot portray actors, but what about characters who were in costumes and make-up and you cannot tell who the actor was?
7. Could I write a mission in which the player opens a channel and has a long, drawn out conversation with Picard? I would use a costume of a ship to represent him in the popup dialog.
8. Can we include Cryptic-made characters and stories in our Foundry missions? (e.g. the Admiral on Earth Spacedock, or the new Captain of the Enterprise-F)
9. Can we use past stories from Star Trek and continue the story and build on the plot?
10. What about characters from a show/movie who were mentioned but never shown? (Ie. Felix, who designed Vic's lounge. Harry Kim's neighbor on Voyager.)
11. Can we show completely original characters implied to have met or served with canon characters? (Ie, say I want to do a sequel to "Skin of Evil" and I invent a junior security officer who served on the 1701-D under Tasha Yar. This could extend to stuff like Barclay's daughter.)
Also, please note that this is not a Q&A thread  This thread is just to shed some light on the most commonly asked questions. If you have additional questions, please refer to the EULA here.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Last edited by pwecaptainsmirk; 07-30-2014 at 04:47 PM.