View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 367
05-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
Hi folks welcome to a new feature - The PVP Weekly Update.

Every Friday before I leave the office for the day Iím going to jump into the PVP forums and give you an update. It may be a small update or it might be a big update. It may be a very simple ďthere is nothing notable to report this week, how is everyone doing?Ē sort of thing. Or, it could be ďhere is a list of big things that are on their way to you on Tribble. Go take a look and tell me what you thinkĒ sort of post.

Whatever it is, itís going to happen every week.

Todayís Topic Ė State of PVP in STO.

Put simply, the current state of PVP in STO = FAIL

I donít think I can be any clearer on this point. You the players donít like it, we the developers donít like it and all the data we pull from the servers backs up the statement as well. Now, we could start discussing why PVP is the way it is. There are lots of reasons, some you as players know and some you donít. Discussing that particular topic wouldnít move us forward, now is not the time to figure out who is to blame for what and why.

It is however time to move forward. The first question we (the developers) had to ask ourselves is can PVP be saved?

I donít use the word ďSavedĒ lightly. I donít mean fixed, updated, or fun. I literally mean saved.

Now, what Iím about to tell you is going to scare a few people, itís going to make some of you angry. Itís not meant to do either of those things, and please donít read into anything I type. Iím not trying to be sarcastic, blame you the players for anything, or infer that the opinions of the players in STO that care about PVP donít matter . I just want to make sure you understand where we are at in this process.

Right now because PVP is in such bad shape that we (the developers) have to decide if we think we can turn this problem around. Participation in PVP related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people that log in to the game and play in any significant way.

SeeÖ I told you.. scary. I know, some of you are reading this and getting angry. I understand but this is simply the bare naked truth.

Cryptic is a business and everything that makes up STO requires resources to develop, implement, and maintain. I think itís pretty obvious that since the launch of STO that PVP has not had a fair share of those resources allocated to it. This fact is the primary reason PVP is in the state that itís currently in.

Something has to be done, PVP cannot stay the way that it is now. We either have to try to save it, or take it out of the game completely. We have to allocate resources in order to save it and thatís where I come into the picture.

Right this moment, Iím the only resource PVP gets. My job is to figure out if I can find a way to improve the entire system in a way that does not impact development of the rest of the game in any significant way. Itís going to be a challenge to put it mildly, but Iím going to try. Iím going to do my best to make PVP a viable STO gameplay feature that appeals to a much larger audience than it does now.

Itís simply going to have to get better and appeal to a much larger group of players on a regular basis if itís going to survive. This also means that many of you are not going to like the changes I am forced to make in order to meet these goals, but before you get too upset at something I change you might want to consider the alternative, which would be no PVP at all.

There are big changes coming to PVP, some I think you are going to like, others no so much because no one likes change. Some are not going to make a whole lot of sense at the time because you wonít be seeing the whole long term plan I have in store for PVP over the course of the next year or so.

As far as these forums go, keep in mind that much of what is bothering you right now at this particular time in the current implementation of the PVP system isnít something Iím really going to get very involved with. Itís all going to have to change, and change in a very big way. Iím not going to spend much time trying to solve an current issue you might have right at this very moment when there is a very high probability that a month or two down the road a large scale change to the PVP system in general is going to solve the issue.

Here is an example..

I see lots of threads about KDF players having access to gear that FED players do not. This isnít going to be a problem in the new system since their will not be any FED vs KDF PVP. All PVP in the new system will be cross faction queues.

More information in next weekís edition..

Have a good weekend.

Goz
Well, you have proably thought about this already and might have reason not to do it Gozer, but here is my idea to breath some life into PVP. You guys are talking about doing a Fleet starbase system. Use this system for PVP. Make us fight Fleet vs Fleet for starbases. Do the Fed and the KDF really have enough money to build a new starbase for every one of our thousands of Fleets, or do they only have enough for say maybe 20 to 30, making it so both Factions want only their best Fleets in the starbases.

As far as your current pvp que system goes, you should really just scrap it. Maybe instead make pvp maps. Maybe have missions for pvp, killing an enemy player drops some special item that you maybe can only get through pvp. But if for some strange reason you decide to do away with Faction vs Faction pvp just remember, the current storyline is based on this war. There can't just be peace out of the blue. Maybe the Undine have invaded fruther into the Fed and KDF than we thought, maybe most of the higher ups are thought to be undine. In this case the only people you can trust are your fleetmates and your fleets allies. This then takes Faction vs Faction and replaces it with Fleet vs Fleet without completly destorying the storyline.

But what I think would be the best way to replace pvp ques once again goes back to the Fleet starbase system. Have you ever play Pirates of the Burning Sea Gozer? If not please go take a look at it. It combat is very simlar to STO. Really the only difference is they are in different time periods, that and PotBS has a better pvp system. Same PVE system, better PVP system. You see, their fleets fight other towns, they then build up the town as they hold onto it longer. When a new fleet takes the town its upgrades get destoryed in the fighting and must be rebuilt by the new fleet. When I town is about to be fought over it makes a red zone, which is a circle around the town that becomes red. In this zone it is open season PVP wise, anyone in another faction is fair game. The STO red zone would be around a star base, in sector space. When Fed and KDF find each other in this red zone and one attacks the other it makes something simlar to a deepspace encounter. For a short period after the battle starts back for both sides can join the fight. In PotBS you see anywhere between 1 vs 1 to 12 vs 12, even somethimes 12 vs 1. If you have not play PotBS Gozer I highly suggest you go check it out, it will give you the ideas you need to save PVP.

P.S., PotBS is a F2P game that used to be P2P, just like STO.