View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Apparently I have failed to make myself clear.

This thread isn't about content in the game... or C-Store items... Or lock-boxes.

I am not sure why people are headed straight for the Lock-boxes every time... That's for another thread... Really...

Or has this thread already become subject to Goodwins law?
I understand full well what you are saying, and what the intent of your post is. However, what we are dealing with is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. The Lock boxes were the last straw the camel could carry. Before lock boxes came, we were told that they were staffing up, and that they intended to make the KDF into a complete faction, on par with the UFP, and that we'd be seeing something like 9 featured Episode series per year, After the first lock box, the story began changing. Suddenly, we're told that the KDF isn't worth focusing on. And now in spite of them supposedly having DOUBLED their staff, w are told that they are considering doing away with Featured Episodes and replacing official content with Foundry Missions.

This does not foster any notions of a strong development plan, nor does it present the appearance of a development team that really cares about delivering a quality experience to its customers. And under those conditions, no community can stay strong and united.

Cryptic has done this to themselves. I am one who in spite of lashing out at them at regular intervals is still willing to meet them at a half-way point. However, Cryptic does not seem interested in meeting us half-way on anything. No more featured episodes. No more KDF focus. Oh, but they would rather let STO be blocked from an entire COUNTRY rather than do away with lock boxes.

I'm tired of all the lock box threads myself. But Cryptic has made lock boxes the CENTER of their universe and refuse to back down. And by doing so have created this highly polarized environment.

There is a problem where something like that takes a precedence and they propose the elimination of featured episodes and KDF development in spite of increasing their workforce. I'm sorry... I just cannot see how these things can be reconciled with each other.

One of the following must be true:

1 They have a plan that will totally change the way we perceive the game when it unfolds, and they are just keeping it under wraps.

2 They have no plan and they are just grasping at straws at every step of the way.

3 The plan is to enrage the community enough that enough people will actually leave the game and they can justify closing it down and turning it into a tax write-off.

I'm leaning more towards #2. Since STO launched, they have not had a coherent plan, which is why so much keeps changing on them and us. MMOs based upon lesser Intellectual Properties have managed to do better than STO, because their developers do two things

1 Plan the work
2 Work the plan

I put forth here that if Cryptic would adopt that course of action, they will find solutions for nearly all of the problems they are facing. And when they do, the community will mend itself.