View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Hi , just a few responses to your post, Synk, which I've found quite helpful and very much related to the OP and questions pondered thru this thread.

Quote:
Borg are tough to gauge how you're doing on for some things due to their huge HP and shields in STFs. For example, I was flying a ship with tetryon beam arrays for the shield stripping, but I honestly can't say it was worth it. I swapped that ship to phasers for now to see if I can notice that proc, so I'll see I guess. I mean disruptors leave a debuff that you can see in the UI, and antiproton have the innate crit. It's been difficult for me to tell if there's much effect on a cube, say, with tets or polarons (at least when phasers proc I can see shields drop momentarily or the target stops moving in space, etc.) 'cause they've got so much to work with anyway.
Would have to agree that picking a slightly smaller target is makes the effects you're throwing at it more visible and easier to gauge. Agree that tets and polarons lean towards being specialty weapons. I originally used phasers as I thought the chance of disabling a subsystem would go well with subsystem targeting , which it seemed to. Now that I've switched to pols, the effect seems somehow different, but wow do the targets power level drop fast! Further testing is required. One nice thing about pols is the seem not to be a mainstream choice, and if you're playing with others you seem to mix well with those using the more popular and traditional beam types (diversity of procs and ships are good for any team). Relationship to OP's post: the use of polaron beams, questioning the effectiveness of SST.

If I had one question to pose to a forum "guru" (you know who you are) It would be:

With respect to Polaron Beams and subsystem targeting, would the definition for SST now be "Will lower power in the targeted subsystem" or more specifically "chance to disable a targeted subsystem via lowering it's power"? Is this viable and reasonably effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkr0nized
blah I didn't really say anything helpful, did I? eh..
I'm in complete disagreement with this and without hesitation say you're wrong

Quote:
found that TR and GW are probably two of my favourite skills. I have a science KDF in a Kar'fi with these powers, though I used to have Feedback Pulse instead of TR. Now I can fly up to a cube, subnuc it, and use these two skills. It sure goes down a lot faster; the Omega's 2-piece Glider bonus is a fun help.
Ending up being 2 of my favourite skills as well (hoping by TR you mean Tractor Beam Repulsers). I'm new at this abbreviation thing. Relationship to OP's post /others advice: don't discount the value of having a tractor beam on a Sci ship. And if you haven't tried it at least once, dump a properly spec'd and fully skilled GW3 with decent Aux pwr on something, hold it there using TB, and watch the crits. Seems to be a good mix with the pols as well. Also share a like of feedback pulse... it's a sci offence weapon. Subnuc: 1 of the few remaining decent Sci abilities...

Quote:
to get additional drain, perhaps look into Viral Matrix (shares a cooldown with Scramble Sensors if you care about that skill). Tachyon Beam and Energy siphon can be fun, but again these share a cooldown with TR and GW. I wouldn't triple-up on any cooldown.
Watching shared cool downs is great advice in general.

Quote:
, as I didn't notice this before, run the mission "Assimilated" for the universal Borg console (wiki link). That way you can get at least the two-piece bonus (a hull heal proc that can mitigate plasma burns and other minor damage to keep you from having to heal as much) and still be able to have two-piece MACO or Omega
Yes and yes. Another popular combo would be 3 pc Borg (Eng/Deflector/UBC) with the MACO shields. Remember the Borg deflector adds +5 Aux. But having a 2 pc Borg with 2pc MACO or Omega abilities sounds like it'd be interesting to try.

Dracyl, it's getting late here, but I'd like to respond to a few things brought up in a couple of your previous posts and will do so tomorrow. Some things have been covered in this post responding to SynKr0nized. Thanks SynK!

Sci Vessels are great, but darn it's hard to keep up with Crypitc's nerfs and constant changes

Posted by Al'tek.