Thread: Ds9
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
DS9 premiered on 3 January 1993. Babylon 5 premiered on 26 January 1994. Any copying of B5's first season could not come before the 3rd season of DS9, and so on.
Quote:
Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5

The pilot episode aired just weeks before the debut of Babylon 5. The creator of Babylon 5, J. Michael Straczynski, indicated that Paramount was aware of his concept as early as 1989,[3] when he attempted to sell the show to the studio, and provided them with the series bible, pilot script, artwork, lengthy character background histories, and "synopses to about 22 or so planned episodes taken from the overall course of the planned series"..[4][5] Paramount passed on Babylon 5, but later announced Deep Space Nine was in development two months after Warner Bros. announced its plans for Babylon 5.[6] Straczynski has stated that he thinks Paramount may have used his bible and scripts as the basis for DS9's first season.[7] In 1993 he said, "'Okay, YOU (Paramount) know what happened, and *I* know what happened, but let's try to be grownup about it for now,' though I must say that the shapechanging thing nearly tipped me back over the edge again. If there are no more major similarities that crop up in the next few weeks or months, with luck we can continue that way."[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine