View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-10-2012, 02:32 AM
I don't know that it has to be one way or the other. In my own missions I feel like I have a fair amount of character interaction, but I don't think they would count as Character Pieces. I suppose maybe Perilous Prize would to some extent, but even there it's still about the player and their role in the whole scheme. I guess it's a question of what you consider to be a Character Piece.

Personally, when I come up with a Foundry mission, I pretty much start with the story of what the player will be doing. Then, the other characters that are involved may modify that story, or play a part in it. But I generally wouldn't focus the entire story around one character. I feel like that's more of the attitude to take when writing a novel, not when you're creating a mission for a game. In a game you always have to give some deference to the player's character, and their role in the story.

But, if that's what you naturally come up with, then you have to run with that. You have to cater to your own strengths. Like, with my own missions, they are all fairly long and involved, but I never really questions whether that was the way to go. I wasn't initially sure whether they would be well received, but that didn't mean I would have changed had they been a failure. Rather it was a question of whether I'd make Foundry missions at all.

You can make some changes to how you create your missions, but if you change so much that you don't cater to your strengths then the quality of what you produce will suffer.

Also, it's important to consider what inspires you. In my experience with coming up with missions, writing stories, or any other creative pursuits, inspiration is invaluable. You can get more done in one hour on an idea that inspires you, than you can in 10 hours working on something where you're trying to force it. So, it's just not efficient to force yourself to create stories other than those you are inspired to create.

All that being said, I guess my advice would be to do what you want to do, but maybe try to temper your character pieces just enough so that the player feels like he's playing an important role.