View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I've tried to convince people it would be good to move the Fed Shipyard to Utopia Planitia, and no one's buying that either.

Admittedly, I'm not a programmer. Perhaps it's doable in some way, but I have been working here for 7 years, and have never seen this done. To my knowledge, there is no way to display different entities to different players as the game stands today. Also, I like the spot to show off our ships.
I'm still ****ed at the fact that after all the beautiful work you did on it that Utopia Plainita wasn't left in game as a constant map. There is so much it could be used for, and it really should be THE spot for not only going to get new ships, but also where the newest ship is displayed outside the windows which is where it is most appropriate.
______

AS far as space docks being functional like has been mentioned, unfortunately too many people are in too much of a hurry to get nowhere fast. There is still a very appropriate way to make this idea a win - win for everyone thou. It has been stated that with the fleet bases there are going to be more support facilities available around the fleet bases in the future. Sorry I don't remember exactly where I read that, but it was one of the official things, but why not simply add the free repairs to those docks? Something that is really missing from this game from an immersion stand point is being able to manually dock your ship, and it would be amazing to be able to manually guide your ship into the dock and in doing so trigger the repair window.
______

Showing a different loot box based on what player it belongs to is actually really simple programming, it's basically just detecting what player (out of a limited number of players) and then displaying the correct box with the correct graphical effect associated to it (from a limited number of boxes).

The idea of showing individual players a specific graphic such as a customized player ship outside a window would mean there would have to be a fully scaled version of every ship and every possible combination of parts. This already somewhat exists with the ship customization screen.

The problem however is that when you have or can have so many players in that room, you'll end up getting something like the glitched holo display from UPS. From what I understand even the fleet bases are going to be a single instance per fleet so the same problem would arise there as well.

Now a space dock within a fleet base instance on the other hand it could be theoretically possible to do it there. If you where able to manually dock your ship into a space dock and then beam into the space dock interior map and that map was an individual instance (think foundry map instance) then they could just detect the ship configuration and display that.