View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Captain’s Log for Pii

This morning I left the USS Copernicus aboard my private shuttle for the USS Greenwich. The closest that each of the vessels came to one another was five light years. En route to the rendezvous coordinates, I took the opportunity to continue practicing the seafaring songs that I would be reintroducing to the Greenwich.

Whipping the crew into shape was the easy part, but the songs were quite difficult for me to wrap my voice remodulator around. I was getting better with each run through, fine-tuning my technique with each pass. By the time I reach Greenwich, my rendition of the songs shouldn’t be too offensive to their ears.

I wonder what K’tress would think, if she could see me working on my singing. After our liberation from the Borg, on the long journey home to the Alpha Quadrant, she had attempted to teach me some Klingon drinking songs, but my vocal remodulator prevented me from even coming close to reproducing what I had heard. I think she would be happy to hear the progress that I’ve made. I don’t know when it happened exactly, but I miss that gruff, one-legged Klingon.

Anyways, I was three verses into a rendition of “Henry Martin” when the comm announced a hail from the Greenwich. They had just picked me up on sensors and wanted to inform me that they were running behind schedule.

“Is there a problem?” I asked.

“No problem, Captain,” the voice of Abel Lot, the Lieutenant that operated Alpha shift’s comm station onboard the Greenwich replied. His file described him as an outstanding officer, until the loss of the only Captain that he had ever served under. He’d been slacking off on his duties, arriving to his duty shift late, and even arguing with his superiors. Grief counseling hadn’t been helpful. His story was very similar to those of his crewmates. “Here are the new rendezvous coordinates.”

I closed the channel and adjusted course for the Greenwich. It was still 25 minutes away. I filled the remaining time until the rendezvous going through the list of old seafaring songs. The Greenwich eventually came into view. I engaged docking procedures and boarded the ship a few minutes later.

By the time I exited the shuttle, the entire bridge crew had come down to meet me. They were curious to see who Starfleet had sent to help them get back on track. I was more a curiosity than anything else. I could tell that they didn’t think that I could fix them. I made it a point to be humming the melody of “Eddystone Light” the moment I stepped off the shuttle. I addressed the crew. What I said wasn’t as important as how I said it. I spoke with authority but with a subtle but rhythmic cadence.

When I finished, I asked Commander Trel Mav Shoom, the overwhelmed first officer that had been given command of the Greenwich when its former Captain came to an untimely demise while on an away mission a few weeks ago, to accompany me to the bridge. I asked for a report and continued to hum my tune. As he went on and on about the status of the ship, I just hummed louder and louder.

Trel’s concentration was starting to slip. It was working. I began to quietly whisper the song. Louder and louder with each verse, I sang and restarted again when I finally reached the song’s conclusion. Finally, he couldn’t take it anymore, he stopped walking. “Captain?”

I turned to the Tellarite Commander and sang the chorus of the tune at full volume and continued to down the corridor to the turbolift. The crewmen in the halls stopped and stared, and whispered among themselves as we stepped aboard the turbolift. Trel hurried to catch up with me. As its doors closed, I called back down the hall from which we had come.

“Yo ho ho, the wind blows free
Oh, for the life on the rolling sea”

He didn’t say a word the rest of the trip to the bridge, but he listened to me sing. Certainly he must have thought me insane. However, it was all worth it when I heard him hum along with the chorus during the ride to the bridge. It was working. For the first time, since I’ve boarded the ship, he actually appeared to be relaxing. I think this is going to be easier than I had first believed.

Once on the bridge, I reduced the tune to a low hum, as we made a quick tour around the Bridge. Trel introduced me to the Beta Shift crewmen that were currently on duty. I was pleased by the change in his demeanor. With the rounds completed, we went to the ready room. I took a seat behind the desk as he stood at attention at the door waiting for me to finish my song and say something to him. I belted out the final verse and chorus with such gusto and spirit, that everyone on the bridge was certain to hear it. After my big finish, I tossed the padd that I had carried with me from the shuttle at Trel. It caught him by surprise; as he juggled it back in forth in his hands to keep it from falling. He gained control of it and glanced at it as he asked, “What’s this?”

I laughed heartily. “I didn’t know you knew how to juggle,” I replied. His brow creased momentarily before he realized that I was merely joking. “My song list,” I stated. “Learn them. Then, we’ll talk.” I started humming to myself as I accessed the computer terminal on the desk in front of me. “Dismissed”

Trel, stared at the padd, before looking back at me. I nodded at him reassuringly and sent him on his way. Before the doors closed, I heard him whisper the first few lines of the song.